Author Topic: MMM - Has anyone heard of it? V. Worried  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Potter

• Site Member
MMM - Has anyone heard of it? V. Worried
« on: May 26, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
I've had the longest week of my life, and just need to talk to people who can understand, or have been through, what I have this last week.  Sorry if I get emotional - hard not to where our little Cockers are concerned.

Masticatory Muscle Myositis, MMM.  Has anyone heard of it?  I have been told it's the canine equivalent of Bell's Palsy in humans - or at least similar.

Last Sunday Daisy was perfectly fine.  By Monday night she could not open her mouth - at all.  She couldn't even get her tongue through her front teeth to lap water.  By Tuesday she was going downhill rapidly.  She just sat looking at me and trying to whimper.  It was awful.  She was also trying to cough, like she had something stuck in the back of her throat, or a furball. 

The Vet performed an emergency operation on Wednesday, having taken full bloods, X-rays, etc., none of which proved anything conclusively.  He said that even under General Anaesthetic they could not open her jaw; they tried 3 times and each time the pain was so bad that Daisy came round from the GA, yelping.  (I could have done without that little snippet of information, actually, Mr Vet).  He said although the blood results did not back up his diagnosis, he was going to treat her for MMM, because that seemed the only logical thing to do.

Daisy is on 6 steroids a day, two anti flammatories a day and two antibiotics a day.  To say she's like a zombie, is an understatement.  And how easy is it to get this barrage of tablets into a dog, when you can't open the mouth?   

The Vet has said MMM is not hereditory, they term it idiopathic because, like Bell's Palsy, there is no medical rhyme or reason for it at all.  The masticatory muscles around the jaw simply lock solid.  Mr Vet has only had two other cases in his time, and both recovered fully after this course of treatment.  One of those dogs was a Cocker, the other a King Charles.

Has anyone heard of this being a spaniel thing?  Although sceptical about everything you read on the Internet, I have been scouring it day and night for information - as you might imagine.  The Internet mostly refers to MMM in heavy jawed breeds, like Rottweilers and American Pit Bulls, but nothing that points necessarily to breed specific.  Maybe it's a coincidence?

For the first time in a week,  I've seen a glimmer of my real Daisy - the tail has wagged, once.  (As if to say, I'm still in here Mum, just trying to get out). And her jaw is slowly beginning to relax.  She still can't yawn or eat properly, but I've boiled up some shin of beef, which flakes beautifully, and finger feeding it through her front teeth.  And she's able to lap water.  The weight has simply dropped off her, and her collar hangs around her neck horribly loosely.

It's a start.  In the wee small hours I've virtually sold my soul to have my little Daisy back. She's just had her first birthday - who'd have thought a week later she'd be going through all this?

If anyone out there has had this horrible MMM, I'd love to hear from you.  And if you have any tips for building Daisy's strength back up, or any foods that will tempt her to eat, old wives' tales all welcome, I'll try anything.

I'm so sorry to ramble.  Promise to be cheerier next time.

Kay and Daisy
-x-         -x-

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: MMM - Has anyone heard of it? V. Worried
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »
Never heard of it - just wanted to send you hugs and gentle licks to your poor little girl.
Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery for her - I am sure someone on here will have heard of it and send you some positive help,
we are sending positive vibes your way.
 :luv:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 06:06:04 PM »
Sorry no advise i just wanted to wish daisy a quick recovery- poor thing.
I had bells palsy when pregnant with my daughter and it wasnt a pleasant experience.
Hurry up and get better daisy :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
I'm so sorry to read this Kay - you and poor little Daisy have certainly had the week from hell  :'( :'( :'(

I know nothing of MMM - ok, well I've heard of it, but not heard of any dog having it - so don't have any medical advice for you.  I'm wondering if when she recovers a bit if something like t-touch may help relax her.

As for food, tripe is fantastic for building her up (but I would wait until she can eat this by herself as hand feeding her raw tripe would be horrendous  :o )

In the meantime, sending lots of positive and keep strong thoughts to you both, and hoping her improvement is steady and strong.

Thinking of you both  :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Tess72

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »
sorry no help just wanted to send best wishes and hope daisy gets well soon, thinkin of you both :luv:
Tess n Florence xx

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »
Poor Daisy. I hope she recovers soon. 

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »
That sounds horrid, I have never heard of it, but I hope Daisy is feeling better soon poor thing.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:12:23 PM »
OMG Kay, what a horrendous week  :'( :'(

Hope Daisy continues to improve and can shake off this horrible thing, whatever it is.  Sorry, I have no advice - never heard of it before - but I agree with Helen, tripe is meant to be great for building up underweight doglets.  :-\

Sending lots of hugs, licks and positive thoughts to you and little Daisy, hoping she is back to herself very soon.  :-* :-*
Julie and Watson

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:22:24 PM »
sorry to hear about Daisy
I was wondering if the vet could suggest a meal replacement type thing - sort of fortified soup for her? Could she manage liquidised / baby food possibly with extra gravy addded?

Hope she's feeling better soon (and you)
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline chudleigh

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 06:23:12 PM »
Thoughts and prayers heading your way
love and woofs
  Val and Betty
today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 06:32:10 PM »
I'm sorry that I haven't got any advice for you but I just wanted to say that you and Daisy are in my thoughts and prayers.
I hope she continues to improve and that she is feeling much better very soon.
Take Care
Em x

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »
Poor little Daisy. I've never heard of MMM but it sounds awful. Thinking of you both and hope she continues to improve :-*

Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 06:47:59 PM »
Oh Kay ...how awful, my heart breaks for you  :'( I hope someone will be along shortly who has some knowledge about this ..in the meantime will send lots of  healing thoughts for poor Daisy, stay strong (((hug))) xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »
I have never heard of it either but it sounds awful (but then, Bell's palsy is awful to experience too!)

It must be quite scary for Daisy too, I should think.

I do hope she recovers quickly.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 06:55:15 PM »
Oh no Kay I'm SO SO sorry. I can't believe she's so ill.. I'm sorry I don't know anything about MMM in dogs but I know a lady that's had Bell's and it was awful. I can't imagine what you're all going through. 

Lots of hugs and kisses from me and Dave we'll keep everything crossed that she makes a quick recovery very soon  :-* :-*

Hannah xxxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x