Author Topic: The 1st Grass Seed ?  (Read 994 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
The 1st Grass Seed ?
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:21:01 AM »
Grrrrrrrrr - Stevie had to be taken to the emergency vets today to have one removed from her ear. Not sure if she's got the dubious honour of being the 1st COL dog this summer. The annoying thing is I noticed the grass seeds had got really dry and were flaking off so kept her on the lead today ( knowing she's the one that likes to run through such things) and checked all 3 dogs thoroughly when we got home - an hour later she suddenly flew off the couch squealing in pain.  :-\ Luckily she was really brave ( unilke Jimmy the wuss) so didn't need to be sedated but it still cost £120 - so anyone new to Cockers, particularly if you live in the south of England... have a read of Michele's sticky post and watch out !

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: The 1st Grass Seed ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:15:02 AM »

Poor Stevie!!!

Well done for being so brave!!!  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »
It's definitely started with a vengeance - they are EVERYWHERE.

Glad Stevie is ok and your vet fixed her up quickly using his pure gold operating tools (well you pay for 'em!)  - Jarv sez Jimmy's not a wuss, he's just sensitive like him  >:(

hug to Stevie for being brave  :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »
What a nightmare, Colin. I got snoods for my 2 last year.....and then Bramble ended up getting one in her paw.  >:( Have to say that the snoods gave all my dog walking friends a right good laugh; the girls actually looked embarrassed wearing them too!

Silica's fab for removing grass seed, but I'm not so sure it works quickly enough to stop the pain from seeds in their ears - Helen, do you know?

Hope wee Stevie's feeling better soon.  :-* to her
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »
Aww poor Stevie  :'( d*mn things  >:( I noticed lots around yesterday and will have to take a different route for a while.  Mine wear snoods and they get lots of funny looks  :005: ..a lot of people have said "why are their heads bandaged"  :lol2:

Hope Stevie is more comfortable now....sending a gentle hug x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:16:09 PM »

Glad Stevie is ok and your vet fixed her up quickly using his pure gold operating tools (well you pay for 'em!) 

Because it was sunday we had to go to the emergency vets which is a £75 consultation fee. They added an extra £20 onto the bill because I turned up without an appointment - I'd tried phoning but it was permanently engaged. Fair enough if they were busy but when I arrived there was nobody else there and they were all just sitting around eating Pot Noodles.  ::)

I don't think I can bring myself to put snoods on the dogs but we are going to be really restricted where we can walk now. Trying to keep Stevie from running through the long grass is nigh on impossible so I may have no other choice. The squealing she did was horrible to listen to and her whole body was trembling, so I'm not sure I want to risk putting her through that again.

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »
I've pulled a few from their fur so far, and hope I've spotted them all!!!
We had lots of trouble last year with Jack.
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »

Got one out of Bibas paw this morning  :-\..where ever we walk they are everywhere...cant see them putting up with 3 months of road walks  ph34r..will just have to cross our fingers everytime we go out  :005:
Glad stevie is ok  :-*

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
I'm just back from vet with Krum after his limp that started on Sat. He has a grass seed somewhere in his paw but the entry point is healing well so vet is just leaving it as long as he seems okay. Got painkillers and anti-inflams and am to bathe paw in salt water. She said silica is great but you cant use it if dog is chipped as chip will pop out.... Nobody mentioned this before!  :huh:

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 06:39:05 PM »
Sorry to hear this Colin - I hope Stevie, and your wallet, recover soon  ph34r

I hate this time of year cos of the seeds  ph34r; especially as my local park is closed for another week (clearing up after the Isle of Wight Festival) so if I want to give the dogs a run, I have to run the gauntlet of the overgrown fields, or try and get to the beach during low tide   :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 06:54:41 PM »
Sorry that you have the dubious honour of being the first 2008 grass seed on COL.

I had noticed them this morning too, but Buddy isn't quite as manic about leaping into long grass as some cockers, and his only grass seed was from under a garden hedge on a local housing estate so I just takes me chances I'm afraid!

They really are horrid things. And Buddy is every bit the wuss sensitive little flower, just like Stevie!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 07:04:51 PM »
4 spaniels over many years and never had a grass seed problem with any of them.  Having said that I have probably now jinxed myself ph34r :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe