Author Topic: William has eaten a peach stone - is that dangerous?  (Read 17618 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Re: William has eaten a peach stone - is that dangerous?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »
That sounds positive ..great  :D ...will keep our fingers and paws crossed that the stone appears soon  ;)....hugs for you both x

Apparently if he'd been taken to the vet immediately after swallowing the stone they could have given him an injection to make him vomit. It needs to be done within about 30 minutes and obviously only where the object is small enough to be vomited up. If only I'd known!

...thats worth knowing ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 01:50:01 PM »
Oh I hope he does a big peach stone pooh very soon and then you can relax.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 03:23:46 PM »
glad that he's feeling a bit better - hopefully the peach stone will reappear in front of you soon  ph34r

do you think you and he would like to join us on the 29th of July at 6pm for a COL walk at Fritham?  We'd all love to meet you both  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 03:39:43 PM »
Apparently if he'd been taken to the vet immediately after swallowing the stone they could have given him an injection to make him vomit. It needs to be done within about 30 minutes and obviously only where the object is small enough to be vomited up. If only I'd known!

Aye, Kali had this when she ate the Anadin Extra.  Not a pleasant experience at all.  She ran both ends.... ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 03:53:53 PM »
glad that he's feeling a bit better - hopefully the peach stone will reappear in front of you soon  ph34r

do you think you and he would like to join us on the 29th of July at 6pm for a COL walk at Fritham?  We'd all love to meet you both  :D
I can't do 29th July as I will have been at New Forest Show all day (I'm going with a friend and it's the only day we can get her teenage daughter to dogsit for us). But I'd love to join you next time. Fritham is just up the road from me!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »

I can't do 29th July as I will have been at New Forest Show all day (I'm going with a friend and it's the only day we can get her teenage daughter to dogsit for us). But I'd love to join you next time. Fritham is just up the road from me!

it's one of our fave walks (nothing to do with the Royal Oak being a good watering hole at the end of the walk ph34r ) so will PM you when we're heading out there again  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »
Not much to report on the peach stone front. No sign of it yet, but very strange looks this morning from a man with 2 German Shepherds when I was using a stick to dissect what William had just produced on his walk. Every time I go through this routine people suddenly pop up from nowhere, so embarrassing! :005:

William is still occasionally vomiting a little, the last time was 7 hours ago, but is enjoying his chicken and rice and is very well in himself.

Why do Cockers always throw up on the carpet instead of on a hard floor that's easier to clean?

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »
but very strange looks this morning from a man with 2 German Shepherds when I was using a stick to dissect what William had just produced on his walk. Every time I go through this routine people suddenly pop up from nowhere, so embarrassing! :005:

:005:

Glad he is ok generally  :luv: ...hope the stone appears soon for your peace of mind, thanks for the update  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
Glad he is ok generally  :luv: ...hope the stone appears soon for your peace of mind, thanks for the update  ;)
Ditto from me

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 02:19:43 PM »
...any sign of the stone?
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »
No sign, but William is thoroughly enjoying his chicken and rice, hasn't thrown up for 36 hours and is very bouncy and lively.

This afternoon it was my friend Maria's turn to be embarrassed. She looks after William on the 3 days that I work. She was walking him and Ruby the Rank Retriever in the New Forest. William produced, so Maria was prodding at the results with a stick when a load of students on a field trip of some sort appeared over the top of the hill and stopped to stare at her! :005:

Just as well she has a good sense of humour and is a good friend.

How much longer do I keep inspecting? I think I'll carry on until Wednesday then phone the vet to see if it's then safe to assume that William's got rid of it on the quiet.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »
Could he have digested it? Stomach acid is very strong, and a peach stone would probably dissolve in time..... :huh:

Glad he is back to normal though - I admire your commitment, I'd have given up poo-checking days ago  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
Could he have digested it? Stomach acid is very strong, and a peach stone would probably dissolve in time..... :huh:

Glad he is back to normal though - I admire your commitment, I'd have given up poo-checking days ago  :005:

wot Rachel said  :005:

You have devoted friends as well - checking poo on the day's you can't :luv: ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008, 08:34:42 PM »
When I saw my vet on Saturday she said that stomach acid would be strong enough to dissolve the stone eventually, but she didn't think it would have remained in his stomach for very long. He would either have thrown it up in the first few hours or it would have passed into the intestine.

Maybe he did throw it up in the first few hours in my friend's garden (I didn't collect him from her house until mid evening) and I've been worrying over nothing. I think my friend is worried that when she mows her lawn or does some gardening she's going to come across a yucky little pile with a peach stone in it!

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed now for the next couple of days and feeling very grateful that William's problems seem (hopefully) to be nothing when compared with what Jak, Aspen and Barnaby are going through. I've been following their problems on COl and I'm so pleased that things have turned round for Aspen and Barnaby, but so sad about Jak.

Offline badgeralbert

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 04:35:52 PM »
Hope William is feeling OK today.

A few years ago we went to a childs party and brought the usual party bags home.  The party was on 10th September.

On 22nd November Badger started being sick and it smelt like poo  ph34r and looked like poo  ph34r it was terrible.  I rushed him straight to the vets, who emergency x-rayed him and found what they thought to be a tumar and asked to operate immediately, which obviously they did.  He was very poorly and I was soooo worried about him, it was an awful day and few days to follow.

Anyway the good news was it wasnt a tumour but the bad news was a half eaten childs bouncy ball which I recognised from the party bag (the vet saved it for me) and thought we had thrown it out, we never have balls like this around, at the time I was expecting a baby and had a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old (both very inquisitive).  Anyway he had the ball removed along with part of his intestine as it had become damaged.  That took over 2 months to come out, so sometimes surely it can take an age and could dissolve in this time.

Obviously not saying this to worry you but if it hasnt come out then it could be dissolving and will pass through without you noticing, or maybe totally dissolve and pass through, I'm sure William will be fine  :luv: