Author Topic: William has eaten a peach stone - is that dangerous?  (Read 17657 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: William has eaten a peach stone - is that dangerous?
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »
It's now exactly 1 week since William ate the peach stone. There's still no sign of it so I'm hoping that he got rid of it when no-one was looking!

I spoke to the vet nurse yesterday and she suggested I re-introduce his normal food over the next couple of days and then just carry on as normal, so that's what I'm doing. Apart from throwing up small quanties of grass on Saturday he's been absolutely fine in himself, so I think it's definitely time to get back to normal and I've stopped inspecting his poos!

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »
I hope William continues to be his normal self after his sorry your ordeal
But will they ever learn from these daft mistakes they make, I very much doubt it

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2008, 04:07:33 PM »
So glad he is ok  :D hope the stone is long gone now  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
I am pleased that William is ok :D

Offline Heatherb88uk

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 09:59:17 AM »
Glad William is ok and you can relax a bit - don't our 'darlings' put us through it but all we want is healthy, happy dogs xxx

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2008, 06:48:03 PM »
I'm not so sure that he's OK now. Having been absolutely fine I booked him in at the vets for a teeth clean, something that needs doing as he has a lot of plaque. The vet was happy for me to book him in and not concerned about the peach stone scare being so recent.

I took him in yesterday morning, having not fed him since 7.30pm the previous evening and I'd restricted his access to water. During the afternoon before he'd eaten a vast quantity of horse sh*t out on our walk, but he'd produced a normal, if somewhat larger than usual, poo, so I wasn't too concerned. About an hour after leaving him at the vets I had a phone call to say that he'd vomited before they'd even started to do anything with him. The vomit had a little bit of blood in it.

My vet recommended that while he was there they should x-ray his intestines and stomach and do some bloods. I wasn't too sure but agreed to it just in case the wretched peach stone was still around.

They sedated him and did the x-ray and also ultrasounded his stomach. Nothing to be seen, but the stomach was difficult to view as it was contracted, presumably as he hadn't eaten. I think they may have stuck something down his throat as well, but I need to speak to the vet again to confirm that. The bloods were sent off and I'm waiting for the results. They also evacuated his anal glands.

I collected William yesterday afternoon. He was very unhappy and stressed, which isn't like him at all. He spent the afternoon practically crawling round on his belly with his little tail clamped firmly to his bottom. I'm sure he must have been very uncomfortable after the sedation and all the prodding and poking and needles.

He's on tablets called Zitac, which are to help stop vomiting. He hasn't vomited since but has a nasty upset tummy, with really runny stools about 4 times a day. As he's in full coat it gets stuck to his feathering, which worries him. I keep washing it off and he's then more comfortable. He's got a good appetite and is eating 3 small meals of Recovery Diet and fresh cooked chicken a day, with a Zitac tablet 1 hour before each meal. He's had both foods before and been OK with them. I've looked Zitac up on the internet and it doesn't seem to cause side effects.

Today he's a lot brighter than yesterday, but is definitely a bit subdued. I'm sure I would be too if I'd been through what he did yesterday and then had a nasty upset tummy afterwards.

The vet, not my usual one, but a very young one, has muttered about colitis, gastritis and pancreatitis. I'm trying to be very positive as I still think it's likely to be down to eating rubbish and grass (he does that quite often).

I phoned the vet this morning and she wasn't too concerned about the upset tummy at the moment, pointing out that the initial vomiting and the upset tummy might just be due to the horse sh*t.

So, apart from trying not to worry, and feeling very sorry for William, I'm wondering what would have happened if yesterday had been a normal day? Would William have vomited anyway, but then been pretty much OK if just rested? Is the tummy upset something that he's picked up at the vets, or could it be at least partly stress related because of the procedures?

Did he need to go through the procedures? Hopefully the blood test results will come through OK, the tummy upset will stop in a day or so and he'll be back to normal.

He's never had an upset tummy like this, although he's always had occasional vomiting, usually after eating something he shouldn't. Maybe I can expect more problems like this now that he's turned into a dustbin after 4 years of relatively fussy eating.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »
Aww poor William  :'( poor baby has been in the wars ...got our fingers and paws crossed for positive results...sending gentle healing hugs  :luv: x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2008, 07:45:20 PM »
aww bless him! Hope everything goes well for both of you!  :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
I guess if he hadn't have had the peach stone scare they may have held back on such invasive procedures  :-\ 

Poor William, I hope he feels better soon and I hope it's just the horse poo feast that has made him poorly  :luv:

I think you should only speak to your normal vet  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »
oh poor William - he must feel really messed about with  :'( Hope he gets a good rest and is feeling better in the morning - we are sending lots of hugs  :luv:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2008, 08:00:28 PM »
Oh, poor William, he has been through it.  All fingers and paws crossed here that he feels much better tomorrow and all his tests come back clear.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »
I was sure this was all over and done with now. What a shame.

I suspect it has nothing to do with the peach stone. He just feels yuk from all the food deprivation, horse sh*t overdose and various invasive procedures. Poor love.

Hope he feels much better very soon.

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2008, 11:35:10 PM »
 hi Elaine,
sorry to read that William is under the weather again, he was okay on sunday when he got a UKA jumping clear round at the end of the day
hope he soon back to his normal self.
Jackie,

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2008, 11:38:36 PM »
Poor boy, hope he feels better soon.  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »
Update on William - his blood test results are normal, so the vet thinks it's either the overdose of horse sh*t or a tummy bug. She commented that they've seen quite a few dogs with this sort of thing lately, so maybe there's something going round. Why on earth didn't she mention that to me when she suggested all the procedures? I might well have gone down the wait and see route. Anyway, at least I know his kidneys, liver etc. are all functioning normally.

He's still definitely squitty, but that looks to be improving slowly. There's certainly nothing wrong with his appetite and he's bright as a button, back to stealing socks and hiding them in his bed and playing with his cuddly toys.

I've now got some Pro-Kolin and I've just squirted 2ml. into his mouth. He seems to like it!

Thanks for all your good wishes. I'll update again in a day or so.

PS. Is anyone going to the Cold Wet Nose Show on Sat. 12th? We're hoping to go. William is entered in some of the Top Dog classes, but the vet has shaved so much of his tummy feathering off on one side that he looks a bit odd and I'm not sure if I can still put him in the handsome dog class!