Author Topic: Horrible Accident - Indy's Scalded - UPDATE  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
Horrible Accident - Indy's Scalded - UPDATE
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
All done by stupid, clumsy me - I was hard boiling some eggs at lunch time, went to get the pan off the stove using the teatowel because the handle was hot, caught the cloth and tipped the pan, straight on to Indy.

It went down the side of her neck and ear, she ran round the floor screaming with me trying to get the water off her, luckily her fur's long and took most of the heat but obviously some of it got through to her skin - thank god it didn't go in her eye or her ear.

I rang OH to come home and rang the vet who advised to try and put something cold on it until I could get her to him but she wouldn't come out of her crate, just sat there shaking. At the vets he said there's nothing obvious at the minute but burns can take a few days for the damaged areas to show, we've got to take her back on Wednesday and he's given her some antibiotics, pain killers and a buster collar so she doesn't scratch her ear.

The vet said they'd probably have to sedate her and shave her to see how bad the damage is but he was quite frustrated in what he could do, Indy doesn't want anyone to touch her ear and keeps shaking her head.

I'm such a dumb ass, I can't believe this has happend, I've hurt my precious baby but she still wags her tail and licks me.

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: Horrible Accident - Indy's Scalded
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that, what a shock for both of you. I hope little Inds heals quickly. :luv:
Also try not to blame yourself too much, accidents can happen to anyone - this was just very unfortunate. ((Hug)).  :luv:

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
How awful for you - but don't beat yourself up - it was just an accident, just a terrible terrible accident.

Indy knows you love her and would never hurt her on purpose- that's why she still approaches you and isn't scared of you.  :luv:

I hope she heals soon, big huggles from us

Gill and Skye  :luv:
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:14:24 PM »
Dont beat yourself up - accidents happen, and thats all it was and im sure indy understands that too! 

Hope indy gets well soon!  :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »
Oh Sue I am just waiting for something lke that to happen to me to be honest  ph34r

It was an accident, so dont be too hard on yourself, hope Indy is OK  ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Spaniel Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:20:08 PM »
How awful for you, but it could happen to any of us, I'm always taking hot pans off the stove to drain hot water off and Rupert is under my feet.  Hopefully Indy will be alright sending lots of  :luv:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »
Don't be hard on yourself. It was an accident.

I am sure she will be ok. I hope the vet will be happy enough with her on Wednesday to not have to shave or sedate her.

A friend once burnt one of her chicken when she was treating them to hot porridge ( ::) ) one winter!

Offline bernie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 04:24:12 PM »
So easily done. It has often crossed my mind, as Ruby insists on sitting by my feet if I am cooking.

It was an accident, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Get well soon Indy  :luv:
Love Bernie, Ruby and Ted x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »
that is so easily done - my mum did it with a pot of boiling water over one of our labs when I was little (and Bess was fine - burns weren't nice but they healed really well  ;))

Hope the scalding is superficial and hugs to both of you  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:  It's an accident, and could happen (and does) to anyone, so don't beat yourself up missus (that's an order  :-* :-* :-*)

Are you allowed to put anything on the burn?  I was just thinking about pure aloe gel, but would check with the vet first.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »
Oh  poor Indy and poor you.  It is easily done and i have had a few lucky escapes with my two.  I hope the burns are not too bad and Indy recovers quickly. 

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 04:53:30 PM »
Thanks everybody, but my guilt is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Are you allowed to put anything on the burn?  I was just thinking about pure aloe gel, but would check with the vet first.
The vet doesn't want to put anything on it, said to just leave it until the damage can be seen, he did mention trying to get some crushed ice in a cloth and trying that but she doesn't want anyone to touch it.

She's so brave, I'm such a pillock.

Offline bubbles

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:59:15 PM »
I hope indy is fine, and please don't beat yourself up it was an accident. I'm sure you aren't the first and you definately won't be the last :-*

my special little boy

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »
Poor poppet.  :'(

Hugs to you, I hope everything turns out ok wednesday.  :-* :luv:

Please dont feel guilty, it is so easy done.  :-*

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »
Wishing Indy well  :luv: poor baby  :'(   I must admit mine are always around my feet in the kitchen  :-\

keep your chin up

Jo

Offline teapot

• Site Member
  • ~Tia~
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »
Don't be hard on yourself, accidents happen. There have been a few close calls in our house as Tia loves to lay in the kitchen  ::)

Sending big hugs to you and Indy and hoping it's not too bad when you go back weds  :-*
Marie & Tia x