Author Topic: What do you think these are?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline kalami

• Site Member
What do you think these are?
« on: August 03, 2008, 09:18:27 AM »
Not a trick question, they are on bellas neck - probably were her collar buckle sits. On thursday they were actual sores now they seem to be scabs, the reason i'm mentioning it now is because we thought there were only about 5 of them but now they're more scabby there looks to be about ten of them.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: What do you think these are?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:30:36 AM »
I'm not sure.....bites or stings of some sort?  My SIL's dog had a very similar thing recently, but on the back of her neck.  It's all cleared up now but we still don't know what caused it  :-\

Sorry, not much help - they seem to be clearing up nicely though!  If she gets any more or it gets any worse I would take her to the vet.

helen & jarvis x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:37:49 AM »

Another option is that she could be allergic to something in the collar buckle - is it a metal one??
I get little scabby sores on my temples where the paint has rubbed off my glassess frames (I'm allergic to nickel).  If they don't clear up, could try painting clear nail varnish on the collar buckle (or getting a plastic catch one) to see if that helps.....

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:56:18 AM »
Oooh I am so glad you posted on this as Paddy has the same thing in the same place - they have come up in last 2 months. I wondered whether it was 'collar rub'. I spoke to the vet about it at a recent appt as one of the bumps looked raised and red - he did not seem concerned and said just keep an eye on it but offered no explanation. I have been putting sudocream on and the bumps have gone down but still can feel them. Any advice/suggestions welcome here as well
Lynne

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
could well be an allergy too, good point Karma! What collars are both of you using?
helen & jarvis x

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 11:28:38 AM »
Krum sometimes gets those on his armpits and for him its an allergy/skin infection that he's prone to.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
How bizarre!

Skye has got 2 of these wee scabby things too!  One on her chin and one on her back.

Like the rest of you, I have just been keeping them clean and then applying antiseptic to them.  They are still there, but don't seem to bother her at all.

xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline Saffi

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:40:44 AM »
Is it possible that they were from ticks (which have fallen off)? I say this because my cats often have scabs from where the ticks have been, esp. around the collar area. Dogs don't get any as they have the tick collars. Just a thought!

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 11:46:05 AM »
Mmmmmm I agree, looks like an allergy to me......

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:15:29 PM »
These look very similar to the lumps Daisy had a while ago, I checked with the vet and she said it was most likely an allergic reaction to the metal in her collar. 

It was right where the D-ring sat when the collar was loose on her neck, and the silver metal coating had worn away so there was something in the metal underneath that was irritating her skin.

The lumps cleared up as soon as I stopped the contact with her skin.

I leave her collar off as much as possible now, and replace the collar as soon as the metal coating starts to wear down.  I did put a thread on here about it (looking for hypo-allergenic collars), and someone suggested coating the metal with clear nail varnish.

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
Thank you will try changing collar - Paddy's has a plastic fastening but there is a metal D ring where his ID disc goes so could be that. I thought about tick bites as that is a very juicy part of the throat but tbh I think I would have seen the ticks if they were there and as there are so many bumps I'd ruled that out. Will see what happens if we remove the metal contact.
Lynne

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »
Thank you will try changing collar - Paddy's has a plastic fastening but there is a metal D ring where his ID disc goes so could be that. I thought about tick bites as that is a very juicy part of the throat but tbh I think I would have seen the ticks if they were there and as there are so many bumps I'd ruled that out. Will see what happens if we remove the metal contact.
Lynne

what's the i.d tag made out of?
helen & jarvis x

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 02:51:46 PM »
I have seen these before, changed her flea treatment and have not seen them since, I can only assume it was a reaction to the flea stuff so looks like allergy reaction, go with new plastic collar.

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »
Lynne

what's the i.d tag made out of?

Metal! So will change this as well - will have to look for plastic I guess - unless anyone knows any other allergy free materials?
Lynne

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 11:46:11 PM »
Just wondering if it could be a touch of Pyoderma?