Author Topic: What vitamins should I buy for Monty?  (Read 429 times)

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
What vitamins should I buy for Monty?
« on: October 01, 2008, 12:48:06 PM »
Hi All,

We are currently feeding our 8 month old Monty, Chicken, rice, peas and carrots (and the odd sardine). It worries me slightly that he will not be getting the full daily nutrients he needs.

Can anyone give me any advice about what vitamins/supplements would be the best to add to his food?

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: What vitamins should I buy for Monty?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »
He is missing quite a few vitamins and minerals with this diet, maybe your vet can advise with suitable all round vitamins for a young dog but for a start you may wish to add some biscuits to his diet to at least give him some calcium for his growing bones as there is no calcium in that diet (unless the fish has bones in it).
I would advise that you either change his diet or read up more thoroughly on home cooked foods for dogs. (Not intended as a lecture just advice.)

I fed a raw diet so if I gave those things to my dog I would also include the following too bones, kelp, egg, egg shell, cereals, bran, offal, wheatgerm, omega 3,6,9 oil, herbs but not necessarily all in the one meal and I never mix cereals with meat meals.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »
Thanks for that. I just spoke with the vet and have decided to put him back fully on his JWB but soften it a little with water as he is having teething problems at the mo  :'(

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
I have recently changed Jesse to home cooked due to allergy issues. It is pretty much the diet you describe, but fish instead of chicken. I am however adding a couple of bits: salmon oil, calcium/phosphorus supplement, glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM/vitamin C supplement and will also add kelp tablets as soon as I get them. So far, he is doing well, but I need to do more research on it as I have only just started it a month ago.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk