Author Topic: Smudge's mouth - is there a problem?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Smudge's mouth - is there a problem?
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:15:15 AM »
Can anyone tell me please what colour a cockers gums should be, (probably sounds a daft question :-\ ), as Smudge's (2 years) are a sort of brown colour on the back half near the folds if you know what I mean. His mouth does whiff a bit but not excessively so. I remove any crustiness on the outside of his chops but I always thought the inside should be pink - but I may have that wrong and am worrying needlessly. He eats ok and still likes his biscuit bones, but his body manner seems a bit laboured whilst indoors (ok when he is out) and wondered if the mouth colour can be a sign of other probs......think this may be a visit to the vets?

Thanks for any advice received.

I have now made appointment with vet on Friday - just in case, writing me concerns down I could see he probably needs to go ::) but i would still appreciate any comments taa everso ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: Smudge's mouth - is there a problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »
Are you talking about his gums or about the fur around his mouth?

Either way, I think it's pretty normal!

Is Smudge a particolour? (Sorry, I try to keep up, but I don't do very well) That would explain the particolour gums!

Obviously, if you are really worried about anything you should always go to the vets, but to be honest, this all sounds normal to me.

If you are unsure then maybe a photo?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »
Sounds normal to me  :blink: Not unusual at all for there to be some pigmentation inside the mouth; black on the blacks, blue roans and b/w's; brown on other colours.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »
Woofies are pink with brown/black patches on them towards the back

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Smudge's mouth - is there a problem? - u/d all is well
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 10:42:59 PM »
Well in the end the little lad bucked up and was running round like a loon on the day before vets appt. so cancelled it .......so far so good!! - maybe he just wanted a bit of extra fussing lol
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.