Author Topic: Truffle's accident  (Read 4549 times)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: Truffle's accident
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2009, 01:02:42 AM »
 :luv: I am glad to hear she is home, sorry I have no advice as never had to deal with aything like this, I hope the next 6 weeks go fast and Truffle doesn't object too much  ph34r , all the best Jo
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2009, 01:16:51 AM »
Radio and kongs??

Hope Truffle feels better soon :luv:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2009, 08:32:22 AM »
So glad she came through her operation ok. No advice on the rate rest but I hope it passes quickly for you!

Millie

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2009, 09:32:28 AM »
Really sorry to hear about Truffle and her accident...but so glad she came through her op ok.
Good luck with the crate rest.....I can only imagine what hard (but neccessary) work it's going to be for you.
love & prayers for Truffles speedy recovery, from all of us here   :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »
SO pleased Truffle home and going to be well- best of luck for the next 6 weeks , going to be hard work but am sure it will be worth it :luv: :luv:
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2009, 10:04:22 AM »
Hi

have only just read this thread. So pleased to see that Truffle has come thro her op and that she is doing well,what a terrible time it must have been for you.
Our English Setter severed a ligament in his leg 2 years ago and he had his leg in plaster (and developed plaster sores which became infected). He was on 5min walks for about 2 and a half months and it was a very difficult time. Good luck with the crate rest and I hope Truffle enjoys War and Peace!!! :005:....Liz ( I remember many years ago reading Gone with the Wind whilst in labour!!!!)

Offline mcphee

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »
Just caught up again. So pleased op went well. Goodness knows how the rest period will go! Rest is a thing cockers seem to do strictly on their own terms. I hesitate to suggest it, but if it all gets too frustrating for her, I was recommended skull cap and valerian when Rufus became gun shy after fireworks night. I only used half suggested dose, but he was so chilled he looked as though he had been smoking something illegal! He lay with a big smile on his face! Anyway hope all goes as expected. regards, Rufus's mummy

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2009, 05:44:29 PM »
Thank you for your kind wishes for Truffle (and me!). The orthopaedic vet was lovely and gave clear info on what he would do, and was very concerned to relieve her pain as much as poss. She is home now and we have to keep her crated for 6 weeks, except for just enough steps outside to do what doggies do. How on earth will I keep her sane? She is normally the high speed dynamo I am sure you all are familiar with. Ever since a puppy she never sat still, razzed around like an engine in a fur coat.
Has anyone had to keep their pooch cooped up? Someone suggested I read to her....it would have to be "War and Peace"! Love to you all, ideas welcome.

Rodaidh had to be crated 24/7 other than being carried outside for toilet breaks for 8 weeks last year following surgery to fix a luxating patella. He's also a working Cocker and was only 15 months old at the time so you can imagine how much energy he had! He coped with the enforced rest period really well though, he obviously got bored and restless but overall he was very, very good about it and adapted really well. I slept downstairs beside his crate pretty much the whole time and tried to limit my time out of the house so he was seldom left alone, I worked from home and only really left him to walk the other two dogs or nip to the supermarket. His crate was in the living room so we watched a lot of tv together :005:  and after the first few weeks I would bring him out onto the rug for 10 minutes or so a few times a day and sit with him there. We did some clicker training stuff, I taught him to do a 'high 5' and the names of some of his toys and stuff. Kongs, pizzles and socks with treats in and a few knots tied in them were good for keeping him occupied.

A big bit of advice is that you may need to cut back her food more than you think in order to maintain her weight. I was determined not to let Rodaidh put on weight during his crating even though the orthopaedic vet said that the vast majority of dogs do gain weight under these circumstances. Rodaidh was weighed the day of his surgery and he was 13.2kg and he was weighed again the day of his final check up 9 weeks later and he was... 13.2kg, I was really pleased about that but I'd had to cut back his food to literally a third of what he'd been getting before as he was using up pretty much no energy at all.

I'm really glad Truffle's surgery went well and if you want any more advice about the crate period just pm me, I know what it's like!!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Bluebell11

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »
Big George licks for Truffle.x

Offline Heatherb88uk

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »
 :luv  Pleased to read surgery went well, and sending mega patience to you to cope for the next 6 weeks!!!! hopefully Truffle will adapt and be the treasure we know she is, love to you all Heather xxx  Perhaps you will keep Truffles weight down but how about yours, mine would balloon with comfort eating chocolate for my sanity!!!  :lol2:

Offline Gromit

• Site Member
  • Always look up.
Re: Truffle's accident update
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »
Hello everyone. Wow we are bowled over by the dozens of messages of support for Truff (and me!)
She is being so good when in the crate. To make it all worse our vet said she must wear an Elizabethan collar after she had the stitches out yesterday, so the poor mite can hardly move in the crate. The wound was leaking a bit just in one spot when she is on the end of the lead for wee-time and pulling like mad wanting to be after the birdies as if nothing had happened. She would then give it a quick lick to clean it up, wasn't worrying at it at all but the vet didn't listen to that. (He didn't listen when I asked if he thought it might be her spine that was injured. But that's too late now so I will shut up griping)
Thanks for the ideas to keep her happy Nic. What's a pizzle? I think she is too whizzy to sit by me on the rug like Rodaigh, but we take her crate in to watch Poirot films with us. I have cut down her bowl rations drastically, especially as she is getting more treats to keep her spirits up. Will keep you posted with progress.