Author Topic: what should I do?  (Read 404 times)

Offline lainy

what should I do?
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
In late May I collected my precious puppy. As I live a long way away, I had only seen photos. Unfortunately it was only after that that I found this forum, as already I have found out so much....
My puppy was born and reared under the care of a very respectable Breeder, although her mum is owned by a less experienced person, she was also bred by this breeder as was the sire. I was confident I was buying a carefully well bred puppy with the potential to show, with the possibility of producing puppies if she proved good enough.
When I met my puppy on collection date, I needless to say was totally smitten and still am, but I did notice a wee bump at her navel and mentioned it, and was reasurred that it was just because the cord had been cut too short at birth and it would dissapear. Well I went off happy and I did not give the bump much thought as I expected it to go....

Today my pup was being chipped(breeders did not do this as they said 8 weeks was too young) and I mentioned it to vet who had a look and told me she has a congenital umbilical hernia and basically not only are there questions about possible future complications, but that she most certainly should not be bred and I will not be allowed to show her.

I love her, and thats not going to change, but I cant help feeling a bit let down. Even if her direct owner did not know, the expert breeder who was in charge must have known that the lump was a hernia and I feel that they had a duty to make the fact known. I made it clear that my intention was to show the puppy. Do you think I should let the breeder know? Has anyone had a dog with this condition? its

Offline Katiee

• Limited Member
Re: what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about your pup!! :'(
There are 2 diferent types of umbilical hernias and I am no expert but if your vet says it is congenital then you should definately let the breeder know so they don't use those parents for breeding again or the same thing will happen.
Am sure that someone who knows loads more than me will be along soon to tell you more. There is a really good article on umbilical hernias and I will try to find the link but if you google it am sure you will get loads of info too. xx :luv:

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 02:32:15 PM »
Brie has a tiny umbilical hernia. Its that small her breeder and the vets that did her vacs missed it. We only spotted it after we had her a few weeks. The vet has said its something called a delayed closure and thats when the umbilical hole has taken longer than normal to fuse shut and we used to be able to puch it back it.

The vet said it was no big deal and if needs be it can be sorted when shes spayed but shes now one and it has almost dissapeared. All thats left of it is a tiny lump smaller than a pea.

The vet told us and others we spoke to that although it *could* be heraditary its more lickly to be just something that happened and wouldnt stop her from being bred from (we have zero intentions of breeding Brie though so its not something I deeply looked into and this info could be wrong).

Neither of Bries parents nor her sibling or previous litters have ever had one.

I dont know about showing sorry

EDIT-sorry im a complete liar I just went and checked Bries and couldnt actually feel a thing, its completly dissapeared  :blink:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »
Absolutely let the breeder know  ;)

As I see it, here are your alternatives:

1. Return the puppy and get a full refund or exchange for another puppy (probably not an option, wouldn't be for me; and at this age there is no guarentee that a pup would be show quality; bites aren't in, testicles aren't descended, etc)

2. If the breeder charged different prices for pet vs show, I would push for a refund of the difference.

3. Get a second opinion from another vet. She is showable as long as she has not had any surgery, and she may not need it. I wouldn't breed her, but if she does not need surgery to close it and she turns out well I would certainly show her  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne