Author Topic: Emergency vet or wait til morning?-urgent advice needed-pics added to 1st post  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
As you may have read Molly took 3 big gouges out of her chest yesterday and had them glued at emergency vet (not our own). We have just noticed she has burst 2 of them open  ::) We have put a doggy lampshade thing on to stop her licking it and she is on anti-bs. I have just boiled kettle and will wash out with cooled boiled saline. I'd really appreciate your opinion tho - do we call emergency vet? At least yesterday they were open, tonight it would mean calling a vet out. Don't have much faith in them considering their handywork only lasted 24 hours  :-\ or should I wait until the morning and get first appointment available at my own vet (one of my friends is working there tomorrow but can't get hold of her tonight so she can book me in straight away when she goes into work before the phone starts ringing).
I think she might need one of them stitched.

We are insured so money isn't the problem, more want to know whether she will be ok left til morning?

The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline ehenry

• Site Member
Re: Emergency vet or wait til morning? - urgent advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:59:02 PM »
I would call emergency vet, they may be able to give advice over the phone to reassure you, and if you need a visit at least you are insured. Hope it heals quickly, lampshades arent much fun :-\

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:01:40 PM »
Ahh poor Mollydog :luv:  How is she with it? If the wounds are really gaping and/or are bleeding and she's in pain then I'd take her now, on the other hand if they're drying up and starting to heal and she seems ok and isn't bothered by it then I'd wait... I do sit towards the non-panicky end of the dog ownership spectrum though :005:  Do you have any gauze or similar which you could tape over them?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline mcphee

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:02:22 PM »
If they look clean, and not infected, I would go to your own vet in the morning and get them properly dealt with. keep her out of dirt and keep her as calm as possible, given that she is a cocker.

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »
She is completely unfazed by them. It was only cos Maria went to tickle her tummy we noticed  ::)
One of them is looking a bit minging but not bleeding.
Will give them a good clean out and then will post of photo for you to assess. I am a hard as nails human mummy but an unexperienced pathetic cocker mummy
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline mcphee

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 07:13:03 PM »
She is completely unfazed by them. It was only cos Maria went to tickle her tummy we noticed  ::)
One of them is looking a bit minging but not bleeding.
Will give them a good clean out and then will post of photo for you to assess. I am a hard as nails human mummy but an unexperienced pathetic cocker mummy
Don't worry, so am I. But dogs and cats do have cuts and wounds unnoticed and survive, so my view is if you have confidence in your vet, then 12-24 hours isn't going to be detrimental to her.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:20:08 PM »
I think from what you've said she'll be fine until the morning as long as they stay clean and she can't bite or scratch at them.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:23:25 PM »
I don't know if its the same with dogs but humans cannot be stitched after about 24 hrs of the injury, it sounds from what you say she can wait for a check over when the vets reopen, I am not sure the em.vets would be able to reglue anyway :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:24:33 PM »
I think the same, as long as the wound is cleaned and not bleeding or oozing gunk, then waiting until morning will be fine. They will probably use staples instead of stitches, they're quick and no need for a sedation. :D

Oh, Molly, what are we going to do with you?! ::)

PS, you said you'd have to get a vet out, why is that? Is there not an out of hours vet near you?
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »
I think the same, as long as the wound is cleaned and not bleeding or oozing gunk, then waiting until morning will be fine. They will probably use staples instead of stitches, they're quick and no need for a sedation. :D

Oh, Molly, what are we going to do with you?! ::)

PS, you said you'd have to get a vet out, why is that? Is there not an out of hours vet near you?

After a certain time there would be a vet on call rather than one manning the vets all the time is what I mean (sorry not making myself very clear) so we would get hit with a call out fee too I would imagine and not sure if that is covered??? (although again not really the main consideration at all but the practice in question is known as a money making machine)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Is your vet open tommorow (? as its a bank hol) after seeing the pics it does seem to be gaping a bit so I wouldn't get a vet out tonight but I don't think I ould wait till tues :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
I've seen dogs coming into my work with bigger wounds than that that have been left for days, so I'm still sure she will be fine until morning if she isn't bothering with it. Entirely up to you though, if you're worried. ;)

In Glasgow we have Vets Now and Pets A&E, who only work during the night and on holidays, I thought there would have been something like that out your way, but you can take her to either of them if you like, or just give them a call for a chat. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
I'd wait, if they shaved the area before it was glued you can get steri strips from a chemist which will do the same job, and you could also make do with any first aid plaster tape tbh. Just put on one side of wound and other end on other side and stick down so that skin edges are together again.
I'd try to keep area moist (by covering over) as they'll have more chance of closing it again, if not will probably end up with larger scar.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
Never thought about bank holiday - it's not one for everyone up here. Still not been able to get hold of my friend - will keep trying her tho and if no joy will find a vet open tomorrow if ours isn't. There is another good one near me, just typical the one with out of hours is the one I am not keen on  ::)

Thanks so much everyone, she is feeling very sorry for herself with her unbecoming lamp shade, thank goodness I still had it from one of her other accidents! I'll stick something over it meantime  :D (she was shaved).

I love this place  :luv:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Just had a look at pic and wound edges look a bit sloughy which may be why it opened up. Still don't think there is a need to rush off however as she's on AB. See if they are open for an hour tomorrow and take her down.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.