Author Topic: Cartilage Problems  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Belinda

• Site Member
Cartilage Problems
« on: November 09, 2002, 04:29:20 PM »
Can anyone help with regard to cartilage problems.  What is the prognosis of a cocker spaniel with this problem.                    

Offline angelad

Cartilage Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2002, 06:08:05 PM »
Cooper had a problem with his Knee cap popping out of place due to the bone not being deep enough to hold it, but this only happened the once and after being put back in it has not bothered him at all since. Don't know if this is the nature of your particular problem but it may help. :D

HTH
Angela & a very energetic Cooper                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cartilage Problems
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2002, 06:48:58 PM »
Could you elaborate on your dog's cartilage problem Belinda? It might help us to give you more information. The problem Angela describes is called "slipping patella" & is quite common in toy breeds but is also sometimes seen in Cockers - it can be hereditary or caused by trauma. If your dog has this condition, sometimes surgery is needed & sometimes not - it depends on the severity of the problem. There are also supplements which can help, like Glucosamine.                    
Jane

Offline angelad

Cartilage Problems
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 03:52:25 PM »
Thanks for that Jane, I wasn't sure of the common name for it, the vet did tell me the proper name but I can't remember that either - doh ???. Surgery was mentioned but I didn't want to put Cooper through that if it was not necessary and the vet agreed. It has only happened the once thankfully (he fell off the bed! >:() and that was about 6 months ago so hopefully it will not happen again - touch wood (Cooper streches a paw out to mums head ;D)                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Belinda

• Site Member
Cartilage Problems
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2002, 04:19:38 PM »
Thank you Jane & Angela.  To explain further, it would appear that from the x-ray taken that the problem lies with the cartilage in the shoulder joint.  The vet did mention an operation but pointed out that this would have to be done in London and the success rate is not very good.

Is there anything else that can be done to help Raq (that is the name of our dog).  He is only 2 years old and was brought from a proper breader.

Thanks                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cartilage Problems
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 05:20:36 PM »
Hi Belinda

Was the diagnosis on your boy OCD (Oseochondritis Dessicans) by any chance? This is a cartilage problem seen mainly in bigger, heavier dogs but I guess it's not unknown in smaller breeds. Here is a link to a site which goes into the condition & treatment, prognosis etc : http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/ocd/ My parents had a Spinone with OCD in his shoulder - he was not operated on & they just managed his condition by restricting exercise (no jumping or going upstairs), low protein diet, giving Glucosamine supplements etc. I think as he got older, the problem more or less disappeared so it is something that can get better with age it seems.

HTH

Jane                    
Jane