Author Topic: Anti-biotic resistant lip-fold pyoderma  (Read 27048 times)

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: Anti-biotic resistant lip-fold pyoderma
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:51 PM »
Look forward to your updates. Hope all goes well for you both.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
Hope it does the trick x
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »
Jade had hers operated on last year and she has not looked back since.  I hadn't realised how much it was affecting her quality of life, she must have been so uncomfortable as she has become a different dog.  Best decision I ever made was getting them done.  :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 09:20:38 PM »
Good luck.
Boysie ended up having the op which helped a lot (though the op wasn't done as well as it could have been). We found a small drop of apple cider vinegar in his water helped with further 'outbreaks', and when we eliminated chicken from his diet it stopped this and several other recurrent problems completely.

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 01:53:26 PM »
Thank you everyone for your positive wishes and also for sharing your experiences.  After three days on the new anti-biotic Tilly's lips have stopped smelling almost completely!   :D :D After months of soreness and the terrible smell, it is lovely to see her becoming more relaxed.  She's back to the vets on Wednesday for a check-up and I will discuss the op then.  I do think it seems to be the only long-term solution.

Interesting poins about the chicken and the cider vinegar, Maria - might well be worth a try.

Poor little Honey, I hope her trip to the vets went well today?  Tilly sends lots and lots of sympathy  :luv:

Sue and Tilly

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »
Pleased to hear she is feeling more comfortable, I had 18 months of this with Jade on and off antibiotics until the vet said it will not get better and needs operating on, I was reluctant as I thought it would cost a fortune but it was only £130 if I remember right and I was worried about putting her through an unneccesary operation, but it was worth every penny and the worry of it to see her now.  I do realise we may not have been so lucky and the vets did say that it doesn't always clear it completely, but they did such a good job she has no fold there at all now.  :D  Good luck if ou decide to get Tilly's done.  :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
Sad to say Paisley's mouth has broken out again. He's back on the Marbocyl. Think the Op will be the only solution for him.

I can't get anywhere near to clean him. Think Paisley has been on Abs since he came into rescue and the 8 months or so we have had him.

Poor little Ellie seems to have got it too. She is on Marbocyl too and we are awaiting swab results. I hope hers isn't Pseudomonas.

She will let me clean her, using Hibiscrub twice a day and she is looking much better. But paisley will rub his mouth on anything, the sofas coffee table even the toilet rim, leaving behind a mucky brown discharge.

They also have some metacam for the pain. Poor doggies.

But I won't give up on him, we have come so far only to be knocked back.

I would get the op done on him tomorrow, but need to find out if it will be the end to his problems or is it just going to erupt elsewhere.

I put some cider vinegar in their meat this morning. I have heard it is very good. Also read that diluted white vinegar breaks down Pseudomonas but would imagine that would really sting a sore mouth. Aaaargh.
One just isn't enough.

Offline Monty Mumma

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »
Monty has suffered with this and anti biotics didn't help so I decided to mix savlon cream with thornits powder and make a paste and apply to the lip fold at night and it has all but dissapeared.

I love thornits it seems to be a miracle in a bottle!

Offline paulette

• Honey in the garden
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »
Hi everyone, we returned to vets yesterday, and it has been decided to operate on Honey lip folds operation number two, I have change my vet so the operation will be done in a totally different way, the first operation her lip fold were pinned back which has caused more problems this time they will take a wedge out. She also has a problem with dry eye and eye lashes rubbing on her eyes so we were put on some Optimmune six weeks ago she needs to stay on it for life, the cost of Optimmune from the vets is £39 95 so have looked on line and found it from a UK based company for £23 but then the vet wants £11 for prescription, but then the Nurse on the desk said I could come to a deal with the vet if I had a chat to him. But I must point out that you can get medication without a prescription from company's on line although they say they are UK base the medication come from South Africa and you are importing them which is against the law, so you have to be very careful. But at the end of the day I just want my special little girl to have a good quality of life. So all booked in for the 22nd January. Wil let you all know how it goes.     ;)
paulette

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »
Hope everything goes well and Honey's problems are soon all over.

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 08:42:47 PM »
The Marbocyl is marvellous!  Tilly's mouthis now clean and clear and the vet has told me to stop bathing it  :D. Tilly is booked in for her facelift on Tuesday.  She told me that Tilly had four different types of bacterial infection - (excuse the spelling  ::)) streptococcus, e-coli, pseudomonas and aerobic pseudomonas (which is apparently the worst kind)  The vet said that if the Marbocyl hadn't worked, the only thing left would be an anti-biotic that is applied topically and which is normally used for cow's udders  :o :o

The things you learn about when you have a cocker  :005:

Sue and Tilly

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »
Fantastic, so glad the Marbocyl worked for you.

Paisley was on it for 40 days and is now on it again. Been on it a week so far but he is still smelly.

still waiting the results of Ellies swab, she is looking a little better.

glad yours has cleared up and the op can go ahead, it does worry me, him having the op with infection present.

Hopefully your problems will soon be over.
One just isn't enough.

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 09:03:14 AM »
Really pleased the marbocyl has worked for Tilly, it will be a relief when she is all done and dusted.  My vet cut a wedge out and stitched back together and there is no fold there at all now, it is wonderful. 

Jade had the infection really bad when she was operated on and had no problems, they gave her an antibiotic injection and of course antibiotics to take home and she did not need the lampshade either, as I think it must have been so sore that she didn't touch it!!  :'(  within 2 days of having the operation though she was more playful than she had been in over 18 months.  :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
  within 2 days of having the operation though she was more playful than she had been in over 18 months.  :D

We found Buddy was a new dog after his facelift too. We hadn't noticed the decline, but the recovery was very noticeable.

I am so glad we did it, it was the only solution for him.

All the very best for the forthcoming face lifts. If you are worried, I posted a thread on here about Buddy's recovery, with some photos. Do a quick search if you like.

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
All the very best for the forthcoming face lifts. If you are worried, I posted a thread on here about Buddy's recovery, with some photos. Do a quick search if you like.

I found the thread Annette started invaluable when I was deciding whether to have Jades done or not.   ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**