Author Topic: Murphy's had his implant.  (Read 521 times)

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
Murphy's had his implant.
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »
Murphy had his chemical castration today, we've been in discussion about it for ages, after some escalating bad behaviour, and I really don't want to get him castrated without looking at all the options so we'll try this and see how he goes. He's really quiet and I think he's feeling quite sorry for himself, the vet said it could take up to 5 weeks for it to kick in so I thought I'd keep a diary of how he goes and see if there is any improvement. If anyone is interested I may well post on here.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline maggieann

Re: Murphy's had his implant.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
Hope Murphy gets on well with his implant. :D

Torin has had his implant since January, I noticed a difference in him after about 4 weeks.  :blink:
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:01:52 PM »
Interesting - I have a bitch, so not affected by male hormones, but just wondered what changes can be expected. Are the implants a preferable alternative to castration only if you may be considering using the dog as a stud later or are there other benefits/reasons as well? I once met a lady with a bitch who was on the "pill" or some sort of implant contraceptive, which I considered before having Penny spayed, but it didn't seem to have the health benefits such as reducing incidence of mammary tumours, womb infections etc. 

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »
I have talked to two vets about it as well as reading an account on here. The vets said expected changes are: shrinking of the testicles of about 1/3, some dogs have shown feminine behaviour so he could become attracted to other male dogs, it is most likely that he will become infertile while he is on it and possibly after he comes off it, also he may develop a little bit of puppy fluff type hair but not as much as if he were castrated. I want to keep showing him but he has been quite horrid recently so I'm hoping this may answer our prayers on the behaviour side but still enable him to be shown and prepared to show etc. Obviously there are no health benefits other than not having to have a sedative to be castrated, he will still be prone to testicular and prostate cancer when he is old, but if this works then I will have to consider that when I get there. Although it's early to think about it, if he were to develop something like that at an old age I would have to think seriously about whether it would be kinder to pts rather than put him through lots of treatment.

I do hope this works with minor side effects though, he still seems to be feeling rather sorry for himself despite having a really fun walk this afternoon and enjoying his ball-slinger (what an appropriate day to take it out)!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline maggieann

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »
Torin was a bit down in the dumps for a while and he went off his food for the best part of a week, the vet said it wasn't a side effect of the implant - but I'm not so sure.  :-\

I haven't noticed him showing any interest in male dogs - but recently a male dog did try and mount Torin.
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.