Author Topic: Fraser not drinking enough water?  (Read 413 times)

Offline tritonx

Fraser not drinking enough water?
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:23:37 PM »
It's turned from March to full summer--high of 33 (91.3F)--which is about the highest I've seen in all the years I've lived in coast British Columbia. Fraser, of course, is mostly sleeping. He doesn't seem to be drinking very much though he's not panting either (he's indoors with me right now). Since I hadn't seen him take a drink for quite a while, I put fresh water in his bowl and put it in front of him. He took a courtesy slurp and then ignored it. I can trust my dog to know how much water he needs in hot weather, can't I? Seems to me he should be drinking more, but surely he'll take what he needs.... :huh:

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
Re: Fraser not drinking enough water?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:12:38 AM »
Sometimes I think that Bonnie doesn't drink enough. On a hot day (not quite as high as yours) I take a bottle and little bowl with me but even though she is panting she doesn't want to drink so I end up squirting it into her mouth. Its as though she knows when to drink because very often she will just jump up and go to her bowl and drink for England
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »
All are different in how they like to drink.  Harv tends to have one massive drink at night and occasionally might sip during the day but has been known to just have one big drink at night, others we have had drink thoughout the day.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »
That's good to hear, then. Fraser seems to be the camel variety. When he drinks, it's a prolonged and noisy slurping and in between times, seems uninterested. When we go for walks in warm weather, he does like the water bottle with dish attachment and always has a slurp out of that. He's perky enough, so I guess he's getting what he needs.