Author Topic: Poorly Paw  (Read 971 times)

Offline Stephen L

• Site Member
Poorly Paw
« on: December 07, 2004, 08:21:29 AM »
Spruce has a boil type lump on his left paw, it is on the top near to where the claw exits the skin. It is very red and sore, spruce is trying bite the fur around all the time, he is also feeling sorry for himself and is off his food. He justs lies in his bed with his head over the paw and when I try to examine it he puts his head over and either sighs or gentling growls under his breath.
It doesn't affect his walking or running as we have been out this morning, he seems happy to be walking on it and there is no sign of limping.

The OH is in London this week with, so I am trying to get to the vets today with him, I think it may be an infection picked up when out with him at the weekend.

Any thoughts anyone?  
Why does my cocker lick my ears?
Don't know, is it because I shout here boy?

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Poorly Paw
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 08:56:38 AM »
My Dusty once got a grass seed stuck between her pads. We didn't realise it was there till a swelling appeared on the top of her toe. It had worked its way up inside her foot, and had to be removed from the top of her foot.
It must have been in the space of a day or two. We rgularly check for seeds and things. It happened to one of my mums dogs too.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline PennyB

Poorly Paw
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 09:09:59 AM »
Wilf had something like this in the summer. Just as he went in to the vets to have it lanced it burst but vet still had to remove offending grass seed which he did under sedation (Wilf not vet!) as he couldn't 'grab' hold of some of it.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Poorly Paw
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 09:12:29 AM »
My mum's old Cairm used to get these all the time. They are little cysts - that become big cysts and do eventually burst - but they can become nasty and painful too.

I'd get the vet to have a look to check there's nothing stuck in it - such as a grass seed or similar object. They may burst it which will relieve the pressure and give some antibiotics.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Stephen L

• Site Member
Poorly Paw
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 10:49:50 PM »
I have managed to get Spruce to the vets this evening. The vet says he has an infection in area where the nail meets the skin, this is due to the join being damaged and dirt getting in.
Spruce also has a high temperature and swollen lymph glands, he has also lost weight (this is probably down to the infection).
We have to wash Spruces paw with an antiseptic solution for the next couple of days and also administer anti-biotics for 2 weeks.
He has eaten a little tonight, but he his definately under the weather and feeling sorry for himself, as I type he is lying by my feet asleep cuddling into his pet lion. (a soft toy not a real one). He has had a lot of cuddles and fuss from me tonight so hopefullyh he should improve by the weekend.

Whilst in the vets, Spruce met another cocker, he was about the same age and a solid black but for a white flash on his chest. A man was at the counter (unrelated to black cocker), he watched spruce and the other cocker sniffing each other and turned to me and said "my, how they look a like for a setter and a springer puppy" I replied "that's because they are a pair of cockers". "Oh" replied the man, "I thought yours was a setter and the other was a black and white springer"  :rolleyes:  

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Poorly Paw
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 04:39:25 PM »
:( Poor Spruce - hope he feels better soon.

Hugs from us x  :)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Sue H

Poorly Paw
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 08:56:39 PM »
Gordon Bennett - I hope your Vets are more experienced than their Receptionist/s ....

Glad to hear that Spruce's claw was treated properly - it sounds as though their 'frontline' aren't exactly totally doggy though !!

You can't be too careful with your baby, and you did right to take him to the Vet. - if you haven't actually chosen a Vet's practice yet, it may be wise to 'shop around' and  go along with someone who has a good reputation for medium sized dogs.  (My Vet. is completely ace from everything from mice to mastadons but she is allergic to guinea pigs ...!!!)

Offline Stephen L

• Site Member
Poorly Paw
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 08:34:48 AM »
I think you have wrong end of stick there Sue,  ;)  The man in the tale was collecting his dog from the vets (obviously a keen doggy person), he was not the receptionist.
The receptionist is female and is in love with Spruce, every we go she turns to mush and fusses him loads and gives him treat when he comes out after being looked at.