Author Topic: Toad Eating  (Read 1060 times)

Offline mattys mum

Toad Eating
« on: September 14, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
Just wanted to mention what happened the other night.

Matty, about 18months old, we have had about 5 months now, was a rescue.  He eats everything especially poo, dead things and likes them whole.

He ate a toad the other night and he was very very poorly.  He went totally lifeless, his eyes were glased, apparently illusinating (soory about spelling), could not stand up - back legs gone.  didnt notice his name being called wouldnt drink or eat.

We went to the vets - she said toads are poisoness even if only held in the mouth.   Matty had two Jabs and we had some rehydration granules for his water.  he came round a bit 24 hours later.  had two more jabs, and he has been on antibiotics etc for a week now and our Matty is back to his gobbling ways.

I have since been told that this is common, and if your dog has a toad in its mouth to hose its mouth out with water as quick as poss to remove as many toxins as poss as not all dogs are as lucky as our matty and pull through.

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Re: Toad Eating
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »
I knew toads secreted some nasty poison from their skin but I thought it just tasted horrible I didn't realise is was as harmfull as that!  :o

I'll be keeping a watchful eye on what they're all up to in my garden as we get a lot of frogs and toads as my neighbour has a pond!  Even found a baby frog in the girls water bowl in the kitchen the other day, it must have crawled under the back door somehow!

Are frogs dangerous too?
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Eloise

• what me? on the sofa, now really mum!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »
Glad to hear that Matty recovered well, thanks for sharing this I didn't know that toads were poisonous to dogs. we get a few frogs (at least i think they are frogs, don't actually know the difference between frogs and toads :huh:) in the garden which Alfie tries to play with, I will keep him away from them now though.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »
OMG I had no idea that toads were poisonous to dogs, though I had heard of humans licking giant toads to get a 'high'  :shades:

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
Elsie like chewing them and spitting them out. Would it be toads living in a pond free garden, rather than frogs?
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »
We don't have a pond but have a couple of resident toads and numerous frogs too - our Jimmy used to try to pick up the toads but has given up now (didn't like the nasty taste in his mouth). Luckily he suffered no ill effects and has learned his lesson. Glad Matty is ok :D You can tell the difference between toads & frogs as apart from being bigger, toads don't jump like frogs, they walk.
Jane

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:00:49 PM »
I didn't know they were that dangerous either.  Thanks for the lesson and am really glad Mattie's recovered.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:12:37 PM »
I didn't know they were that dangerous either.  Thanks for the lesson and am really glad Mattie's recovered.

And from me. 

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »
Yes, glad Mattie is OK.  I hadn't realised either they were so dangerous, thanks for that.  It's a difficult job sometimes making sure our dogs stay away from so many potentially dangerous things in our gardens :o
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:42:45 PM »
So relieved to hear that Matty is OK  :luv:   ... sounds horrific poor boy  :'(

we moved house & gained a pond in the process - the dogs are fascinated by it but mainly the frogs. So far it is just a fascination & hoping it doesn't become lunch  :020:   When younger, our cat used to bring in live frogs/toads as gifts (& would leave them on our bed during the night  :lol2:)   ... the only way I knew the difference was by her salivating after putting them down.
just googled & found this info  :shades:

http://www.frogsonice.com/froggy/sciam/faq.shtml

.....didn't know toads could be so deadly - thanks for starting the thread - would of stayed in ignorance if you hadn't  ;) :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 03:26:12 PM »
Many thanks you have answered a question I had.  We have 2 resident toads in the garden.  I know know they are toads because of this thread as one walked away the other night.  Luckily we have a gate half way down the garden and I spotted the toads on the house side of the gate.  I was worried about charlie finding the toads and got OH to lift the one that was left and move it to the other side of the gate so charlie couldnt get at it.  I didnt know they were poisonous to dogs I just didnt want to see charlie eat one I know now.   
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition