Author Topic: Fraser acting very strange  (Read 506 times)

Offline tritonx

Fraser acting very strange
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:27:38 AM »
I don't know if anyone is up and on the board, but Fraser is acting very out of normal.  It's a little past 10 p.m. here and usually he is snoozing in his bed. He has thrown up a little twice in the last 30 minutes, once inside and the second time outside. He was chewing on a smoked knuckle bone earlier, had his dinner at 6, had a game of chase in the garden at 7:30/8 p.m. Before he threw up he was restless and came to sit next to me whining. I went to kitchen to do something and he followed me and threw up a bit there and since then has been standing at the door, wanting out. I took him outside and he threw up some more. Came back in and wouldn't settle. Back outside where he wandered around sniffing the grass and then sat down. Waited for a while to see if maybe he felt diarrhea coming on and just wanted to be on the grass, but nothing. Took him inside where shortly after, he was whining to be let out again. Went out, waited while he had a pee, sniffed around the grass and then curled up in his sleeping position. Waited for a while in the dark, but nothing so came back inside. He still wants outside and nothing has happened since, but he's lying on his side on the floor in the kitchen, handy to the back door.  It was if he was trying to communicate something to me. His ears were up and he was looking at me intently. Tail wasn't tucked down so in his body language, he seemed okay except for the wanting out and restlessness and, of course, the throwing up. Any ideas?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Fraser acting very strange
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:55:31 AM »
When Jarv has a poorly tummy he's desperate to go outside and find it really hard to get comfortable - he also like's lying on a cool floor, usually on his side.

How is Fraser now?
helen & jarvis x

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 08:00:28 AM »
He's just thrown up the entire contents of his stomach. I hope that's the end of it. He's still restless, but I'm going to head for bed now and see if he'll settle down to sleep. He's sitting next to me whining and giving me the eyes and now has lain down on my feet. I think he wants comfort, poor little guy. Hope he's okay in the morning. It's so worrying when they're not themselves.  :-\

Offline tritonx

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »
Morning and he's maybe a little non bouncy, but did bring his toys over for me to throw. Is it best not to feed him today? Or maybe skip morning meal and give him his regular portion in the evening?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
Is he drinking ok?    If he is then yes, I would skip the morning meal and do something bland like chicken and rice tonight (I leave a bit of water the chicken is cooked in with the rice to ensure they're taking on fluid)

Other options are scrambled egg or fish and potato  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
Hmm, he hasn't had a drink yet. He tends not to drink much, but then he'll slurp a whole lot at once. I'll hold off feeding him until tonight and give him some scrambled eggs and rice. I tried to hose all traces of his vomit on the grass this morning, but of course when I went back outside, he was sniffing intently at the traces. Had to throw a plant tray over it so he'll leave it alone. Love my dog, but yuk.

ETA: sympathy is waning. Significant silence from outside. He's back at the sick. It now has a plant tray, a garbage can lid and a wrought iron propane tank stand on top of it. Looks like the beginnings of the tower of Babel.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
 :lol2:  sounds like he's on the mend then  ;)
helen & jarvis x