Author Topic: Not Eating  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Stephen L

• Site Member
Not Eating
« on: December 13, 2004, 11:47:42 AM »
Spruce has not eaten any of his dinners for the last 3 days, but he will eat human food. We gave him a bit of sunday lunch yesterday and he wolfed it down.
I think the problem relates to his antibiotics he has to take for his paw, I am wondering if this is an adverse affect due to them. I have contacted the vets and am waiting for them to ring me back.
He has lost a lot of weight and is looking thin and underfed.

We are really worried about because he doesn't look very happy.

Should we change his food? He is normally fed on wet food and mixer, we tried dried foods when we got him but he didn't eat that either.

Why does my cocker lick my ears?
Don't know, is it because I shout here boy?

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Not Eating
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 12:23:58 PM »
Hi Stephen, have you tried him on Nature Diet, most dogs love it and wolf it down.

* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Not Eating
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 04:01:13 PM »
Of course he will eat human food over dog food - hes not daft :)

Sorry Stephen but you are making a rod for your own back here. If everytime he doesnt eat or plays poorly and you give in and feed human food, then he will hold out every time till he gets human food.

Let the vet give him the once over. He may suggest a feeding plan seeing as hes been poorly lately. But to keep chopping and changing foods will turn Spruce into a very fussy eater and will leave you having problems ensuring he gets a balanced diet
Caroline and Alfie

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Not Eating
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 08:53:30 PM »
I feed a natural raw diet and I fast my dog totally once a week. I have also fasted my old dog for 4 days when she was unwell, but the weight loss is not extreme. If your dog has lost a significant amount of weight in 3 days then I would suggest a trip to the vets to check him out.

I agree with others that it is unwise to give human food, the nutritional value is not what a dog requires and you will have a fussy eater on your hands.

Put a spoonful of honey in his drinking water to give him some calories whilst he refuses his food.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Not Eating
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 08:59:58 PM »
I feed a natural raw diet and I fast my dog totally once a week

:unsure: Why do you do that?  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Not Eating
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 09:40:22 PM »

The trainer I took Jimmy and Misty to recommended fasting your dog one day a week, he said it was good for flushing out their systems. I've never done it though, my dogs would make my life a misery if I did.

Stephen - once you've had Spruce checked out by the vet it might be worth trying Naturediet as recommended by Indiesnan. Prior to neutering Jimmy used to go days at a time without eating and I made the mistake of chopping and changing his food, which as others have said just makes the problem worse. Naturediet was the first food he would consistently eat on a daily basis, he'd never turn his nose up at it. Having said that though, it does seem that some dogs just don't need as much food as others and will not act or look unhealthy for it.  

Offline Stephen L

• Site Member
Not Eating
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 08:28:24 AM »
Spruce has eaten twice his food since yesterday, the vet told us to stop the antibiotics. He has picked up and looks a happy dog again!
Looks like panicing over nothing but just a reaction to the dosage of antibiotics. :D

Why does my cocker lick my ears?
Don't know, is it because I shout here boy?

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Not Eating
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 11:08:58 PM »

Glad to hear Spruce is back to his old self. :)