Author Topic: Senility In Cockers  (Read 1388 times)

Offline flora

• Site Member
Senility In Cockers
« on: December 15, 2004, 06:38:30 PM »
Hi I am new to this game so hope you get this I have an 11yr old cocker who is dirtying in the house this has got a lot worse lately my vet thinks after trying different medication that it might be time to say good bye. Is there anyone out there that might have gone thrrough the same problem and have some advice i need to try everything before i make a disision.he does think that it is senile dimenta and this is the kind thing to do

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Senility In Cockers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 07:12:54 PM »
So sorry to hear what your dog and you are going through.

Senility in very old cockers does occur - my parents' cocker Max aged 16 developed dementia.  

However, at the age of 11, I would be wary of thinking it was dementia, although it is possible.  

Does he have any other symptoms?  When did the loss of house training happen?  

Offline flora

• Site Member
Senility In Cockers
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 09:06:02 PM »
thank you for replying she started wetting ect about 10mionths ago althoughshe would have the occasional accident she has many health problems
she is on thyroxine and has been since the age of 2 she is atopic [ i think thats what they call it she is allergic toa lot of things including fleas house mite birds and many more she has steriods tablets when things get bad. she sometimes when you shout her lokks in the wrong direction or even goes out of the room to look for you whenyour standing right behind her.  I am thinking of getting a second opinion and maybe some bloods done just to rule things out what do you think.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Senility In Cockers
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 09:17:22 PM »
:( Flora - I am so sorry to hear about your cocker, I hope someone can help out with some advice.

My previous dog Bilbo was 13 and he got dementia.  He used to circle round and round and bump into the furniture, walls, doors etc.  It came on over a period of time and was terrible sad to watch.  It was very difficult to let him go and broke my heart.  Eventually friends said that I really must do something as it was'nt being kind to him and the vet said I had done everything possible to make his life happy and had done well to keep him going for so long.  It was a very difficult decision to make and I hope that your dog being a bit younger can be helped.

Good luck, I'm thinking of you both xxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Senility In Cockers
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 10:10:36 PM »
thank you for replying she started wetting ect about 10mionths ago althoughshe would have the occasional accident she has many health problems
she is on thyroxine and has been since the age of 2 she is atopic [ i think thats what they call it she is allergic toa lot of things including fleas house mite birds and many more she has steriods tablets when things get bad. she sometimes when you shout her lokks in the wrong direction or even goes out of the room to look for you whenyour standing right behind her.  I am thinking of getting a second opinion and maybe some bloods done just to rule things out what do you think.
I don't usually say this, but pts. Sorry  and big <<hugs>>

I had to pts a foster yorkie during an op last week - leaving me with his 15 yo mother.  I've had to pts several cockers, most of my own.  

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Senility In Cockers
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 10:47:48 PM »
My old dog (not a cocker) suffered from dementia in the latter stages of his life  :(  It is such a sad think to see, when you look back and remember how they used to be.  He lived to 2 weeks shy of his 15th birthday, but in all honesty the last 6 months of his life were more for me than anything else as I just couldn't make the decision  :(  He would look blankly at me when I spoke to him as if he didn't recognise me, he couldn't hear me when I called him and he used to just stand in the middle of the room for ages and just look at the floor as if he didn't have a clue were he was. He also started to do the toilet in the house and I honestly believe he didn't even know he was doing it  :(

I can only sympathise with your dilema and only you can make the ultimate decision which I know and many others will to, is the hardest on of all to make. You really have to be at peace in your mind about this. I hung on for as long as I could (for myself), maybe to long, in the end I had to think about his quality of life and not about my own selfish reasons. I remember him today as my baby and my dog of a lifetime, I have a picture of him beside my bed and don't regret my decision although it was extremely difficult.

Thinking of you.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Senility In Cockers
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 11:51:16 PM »
There are treatments available to help with senility but if you have tried them without success, I really can't think of anything else you can do :(  Is she drinking more than normal? If she is then it may be worthwhile having a blood sample taken to see if there is any underlying cause. You will know yourself when the time is right to say goodbye to her.  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)