Author Topic: Guzzel Guts  (Read 1029 times)

Offline nikki

• Site Member
Guzzel Guts
« on: December 23, 2004, 09:34:39 PM »
Millie seems to have a terrible time eating lately!
She goes around to my mums while we are at work, they have a springer who is 5 and a brittany who is 11.  When my mum puts the food down millie pushes holly(springer) out of the way and eats hers aswell as her own!  then because she has rushed it she ends up being sick!!!
last night when i went to get her it had been about an hour since her feed, my mum went out and seeing as though i was waiting for OH i sat down to cuddle Millie.  She then started to dry wretch and although wasnt sick it started to distress holly who started to chase her tail and started growling.  After about 5 mins she stopped wretching and was back to her old self!

Then tonight we had Chicken for tea so as a treat we cut some of the breast small and put it in her bowl.  She ate it straight away(not suprisingly) then about ten minutes later was sick all over my sofa!  the thing is i dont want to stop treating her but how do i get her to learn that she doesnt rush hers (or anyone elses food haha) :lol:  

Penel

Guzzel Guts
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 11:14:45 PM »
I think you will have to either hand feed her for a while, or feed from a kong perhaps or an activity ball if it's kibble.

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Guzzel Guts
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 08:12:46 AM »
Hi Nikki

What are you feeding her?  If it's a dried food then she has no choice but to eat it slower.  I feed Lottie Naturediet in the morning and it's literally gone in seconds as I no doubt believe her Christmas lunch will be tomorrow too :rolleyes:

At tea time though she has Burns which takes her alot longer.  Some people add a little water to dried but I don't as it softens it which means she would be able to eat it quicker  ;)

At your Mums, it's probably best to feed her on her own in a seperate room where there is no threat of hers being eaten and she also doesn't end up having two meals.

Having said all this, she may well just have an upset tummy :unsure:

Mary

Mary & Lottie x

Offline nikki

• Site Member
Guzzel Guts
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 04:12:39 PM »
Mary thanx for the advice.  Millie is fed on Bakers Complete and when she is at home she eats really slowly(unless chicken is added)
When she is around my mums ahe has the adult Bakers Complete as thats what the 2 older dogs get.  
Holly the 5 year old eats really slowly so her food gets left out all day that is until Millie is around then it all gets eaten by her!  Mum did try to seperate them for feeding time but Millie just barges in and eats hollys.
I think it will just be a case of no treats like meat until her belly is bigger!  she will end up a right little bloater in the end :lol:  :lol:  

Penel

Guzzel Guts
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 04:25:46 PM »
How can I put this without being rude - Bakers is one of the poorest quality foods you can buy....  :unsure:  it is full of unnecessary chemicals, in the form of pretty colours and preservatives.
I'd really recommend you change her food to a higher quality, such as Burns, Nutro, Naturediet.   A lot of dogs are very hyper on highly coloured foods.

Sue H

Guzzel Guts
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 06:41:45 PM »
Another thing you can do is to make her eat in smaller quantities, by giving her the daily ration in small amounts (little and often).

Some of the more expensive complete foods, like James Wellbeloved and Hills Science Plan are possibly better for the digestive system, but some dogs will still not eat the biscuit without something a little more appetising, so a bit of fish or chicken or something fairly bland is called for.

If she guzzles, try putting her food bowl on a stand - this will help her swallow properly as her gullet is not so vertical - and try keeping the feeds very small.  Feed by hand if necessary, and allow time between each swallow so that she isn't overloading her system!!  (She says.... - after I had my Xmas dinner it was all I could do to stagger to the settee and then moan about the crap on the telly - just as well one of my thoughtful children had bought us some DVD's!!)