Author Topic: Itchy Paws  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Mo

• Site Member
Itchy Paws
« on: December 26, 2004, 05:01:19 PM »
First of all I hope you all had a great Christmas.

Bit of a silly question but I was just wondering if anyone has any idea why our dogs (Joey & Phoebe) would start chewing their feet after going for a long walk?  Today, we took them to the Country Park which has a lake and streams, which they both went into because you just can't keep them out :rolleyes: .  When we got home and they both settled they started chewing at their paws (quite roughly) and Joey began to get really frustrated and started flinging himself around :blink: I had a good prod around his pads but couldn't feel anything. However, after about 15 mins they both seemed fine.  My only explaination is that maybe their paws were tingling after walking on frozen ground and standing in cold water then coming home into a warm room !  Has anyone else had this happen ??

Thanks

Mo

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Itchy Paws
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 05:51:32 PM »
My boys have been doing this when on walks the past few days due to the icy pavements. They limp for a bit then are fine again. I wash their paws when we get home to remove any excess salt and/or grit thats been put on the pavements.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Itchy Paws
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 06:00:17 PM »
:) I used to have this problem with my previous dog Bilbo - like Gill said it was when they had used salt/grit on the roads and pavements.
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Sue H

Itchy Paws
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 06:31:11 PM »
Perhaps they feel like we do when we have been out in the cold and our fingers have got frozen - they really itch when the feeling starts coming back...

Also, little icy particles may form in the fur between their toes, which they would feel like nibbling out as soon as they could ...