Author Topic: Poorly Pad On Back Foot  (Read 1280 times)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« on: January 15, 2005, 11:32:43 PM »
Hi There

Jessie and I had to make a mad dash to the vets this lunchtime (just before it closed). She had been licking one of her back feet non-stop last night and again this morning.

I managed to pin her down and inspect it and noticed that one of her pads was very swollen and obviously very sore when I touched it.

The vet has given us some antibiotic tablets and dressed the foot (including a plaggy bag to stop it getting wet in this weather). We have to take her back on monday evening to see if whatever is causing it has been drawn out. There was no sign of a wound or splinter so who knows!?!

The vet did say that if there was nothing drawn out and the antibiotics didnt bring the swelling down then she may need exploratory surgery  :(  just hoping the swelling is reduced by monday.

I am just wondering whether we should leave the bag on overnight ot not? It is getting full of condensation lol..

Janey and limpalot Jessie x

Offline PennyB

Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 12:09:48 PM »
When Wilfs paw was swollen in the summer and initially we just got antibiotics (but no bag), towards the end of the week an abscess formed which vet then drained and dug out the grass seed he found bits of. In Wilfs case though vet told me to let him lick it as the abscess was still draining.

May be you could put something else on his foot that doesn't include the bag as that just there to stop foot getting wet outside really and defeats object if bag is causing condensation. If no one else has any ideas you can always ring your out of hours service up and ask if its OK for dog to lick foot if bags not on (I wonder if vet only intended bag to be on if you go out and just keep foot clean while you're out).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 12:22:23 PM »
I can;t imagine he'd expect you to keep the bag on in the house - just the bandage. As you say it will encourage sweating which would me very uncomfortable. To be on the safe side - I'd give them a call and double check though.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 01:21:28 PM »
The bag only needs to go on when outside so keep it off indoors. If you are worried about her nibbling her bandage, you could either put a sock over it or try some bitter spray.

Hope her paw gets better soon ;)  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 01:23:24 PM »
Aww  :(  , hope Jessie is feeling better soon.  Sending her get well cocker smooches from Morgan and Cooper  :D
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 07:59:38 PM »
Thanks everyone

I have left the bag off except when she want to go out in the garden. She managed to eat through a sock and the end of the bandage overnight and we have lost the entire bandage earlier this afternoon.

Pad is still swollen. Her pads are black but the swelling is pink. It is still irritating her though as she is trying to lick it through the sock we have taped on to her leg now lol.

At the vets at ten to four tomorrow afternoon....hope it better by then as she is a bit sorry for herself today....mostly slept and no playing at all (to Saffi's digust)

Cheers

Jane

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 06:07:10 PM »
:( Poor Jessie - hope she's better soon.

Big hugs from us xxx  :)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 10:17:41 PM »
Been back today, no major change except the swelling is a diff shape now ;)

Vet doesnt seem too worried but it seems to be driving Jessie demented. She wants to  lick and bite her foot ALL the time.

We have got some sticky stretchy banadage stuff (in blue  :) ) from the vet so we can re-apply the dressing when (not if) she bites it off. The vet gave her an injection to stop the irritiation and we have predisnolone (or something like that) to start giving her tomorrow along with the anti-biotics.

I am taking her back on Weds afternoon...no walks till then at least  :(

Hope she startes to feel better soon...she is really down in the dumpd...just lying there...won't play or anything. She is eating ok though but she doesn't seem to be drinking much...she is drinking but not much in any one go  :huh:

Janey

Offline PennyB

Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 11:07:09 PM »
Been back today, no major change except the swelling is a diff shape now ;)

Vet doesnt seem too worried but it seems to be driving Jessie demented. She wants to  lick and bite her foot ALL the time.

We have got some sticky stretchy banadage stuff (in blue  :) ) from the vet so we can re-apply the dressing when (not if) she bites it off. The vet gave her an injection to stop the irritiation and we have predisnolone (or something like that) to start giving her tomorrow along with the anti-biotics.

I am taking her back on Weds afternoon...no walks till then at least  :(

Hope she startes to feel better soon...she is really down in the dumpd...just lying there...won't play or anything. She is eating ok though but she doesn't seem to be drinking much...she is drinking but not much in any one go  :huh:

Janey
Has vet not suggested you can have lead only walks (both mine have been allowed that even when they've hurt their legs/feet).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 09:49:54 PM »
Hi There

Well today and tonight has been the most stressfull ever!  :(

Jessie is determined to lick her foot no matter what we put in her way and overnight she chewed a sock the banadage and the pad thing (oh and ate the evidence too!  :ph34r: ).

Today she has been trying to get to it all day...she has chewed thru 3 socks and we have ran out of bandage now as we have had to re-dress it several times.

She is feeling so sorry for herself...not really playing just lying in her bed...she did play when we brought her fave toy out (tennis ball) but only for a minute or two.

She is eating and taking her tablets (anti biotics and anti itch) but her pad doesn't look much different to saturday and the itching is driving her (and us) up the wall.

We are back at the vets tomorrow afternoon....but I am sure she will try to lick and lick her pad away before then.  :(

We are leaving just a sock on her leg now as a barrier....taped on with plaster as tight as we dare without it being overtight.

I feel soo sorry for her...she hasn't been this depressed ever. I just want her foot to get better. She hasn't been out for a walk since Friday as the vet said to keep her off her feet if possible. Nightmare with a cocker.  ;)

Janey

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 10:08:34 PM »
:( Aw poor Jessie she must be so uncomfortable - hope the vet can help out tommorrow.

Cocker cuddles from us xxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Tuuli

• Site Member
Poorly Pad On Back Foot
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 05:12:09 PM »
I can sympathise with you.  Bailey has been in and out of vet for three weeks.  His front right paw is TERRIBLY swollen. Three weeks ago it was like a golf ball and he was licking it even when I carried him into the car.  After 3 weeks of antibiotics it is slightly better but he cannot't go for normal walks as it hurts.  The beige mat upstairs is spotty from the blood from his paw.  

The edge of the swelling is pink and red and looks awful.  I have to put Bailey into a kennel for 5 days due to a holiday and afterwards I'll take him back to vets. He said that he will probably have to operate it as it is not getting better.

The vet told me to dip the paw into warm salty water two times a day.   I tried to spray the paw with tea tree oil but Bailey ran away.

Please, let us know how your darling is getting on.

Tuuli & Bailey