Author Topic: Depression In Dogs  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
Depression In Dogs
« on: January 24, 2005, 10:53:50 PM »
Hiya,

Since getting Einstein (8 week pup) on Saturday, Bailey my Lhasa Apso has been acting really depressed.

His head is down and tail isn't wagging as much, he is just acting generally grumpy.  He isn't off his food and his poos are normal but he has been sick a couple of times and has also weed in the house.  He has also made 'being sick noises' but nothing comes out, like he is doing it for attention.  Is this possible?

He is spending most of the time on the sofa so Einstein can't reach him!

Should I give him extra attention or ignore the attention seeking behaviour?

Any advice gratefully received :)  
Debbie, Einstein & Morgan
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Penel

Depression In Dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 11:08:50 PM »
Sounds like a combination of feeling poorly and being in a huff to me !
If he continues to be sick I'd be inclined to perhaps take him to the vet - is the pup ok ?  keep a close eye on the pup in case he gets whatever Bailey might have...

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:00:45 AM »
I very much doubt it is an infection of any kind as Bailey hasn't been for a walk for the past week due to my back being bad and therefore hasn't come into contact with any other dogs.  The pup is fine, racing around like a don't know what!

After I had left this message last night I went downstairs to find Bailey and Einstein laying down next to each other, sleeping peacefully, so maybe Bailey is coming round to the idea :rolleyes:

We'll see what today brings.....
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 08:54:23 AM »
Could he be missing his siblings and mum???

I'm sure he'll settle in, Sounds like he's starting to already :D  
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 08:58:13 AM »
No Einstein is fine, having a whale of a time.

It's Bailey my older dog who is sulking.
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 09:16:56 AM »
Sorry, must read more thoroughly...

Perhaps Bailey had his nose put out joint...? :blink:  
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 09:36:28 AM »
I know its a different situation but dogs do get depressed just like people do (well in MHO anyway). When Sasha died Scully was fine until the following morning and then she howled and howled and suddenly went from being very happy and confident to being very clingy to me and whimpering a lot for no apparent reason. Hence the reason she moved from sleeping in the kitchen to sleeping on my bed  :ph34r:  :rolleyes:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 11:46:02 AM »
I seen this situation twice. My old dog was 4 when Benjy came and she was not happy about the situation at all. She was not sick but her personality changed and she just looked positively depressed. She did recover, without intervention, just needed time.

In the second instance it was my old dog Bonnie and she was most put out when I had my first child. She had been my baby, and although I felt I still treated her as such,  as a newborn they do spend alot of time on your knee. She stopped sitting next to me on the settee and spending more and more time in her basket in the kitchen. It upset me as she would not take me on if I had the baby, her face was tripping her up all the time.
Bonnie eventually realised he was here to stay and she'd better get used to that, but she was never the same after that.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 12:12:06 PM »

It could just be as Curtiso says that Bailey's had his nose put out a bit by Einstein's arrival.

Jimmy really went into his shell when I brought Misty home, he skulked around with his tail down and spent most of his time hiding from her under the couch. He wouldn't even walk near her, he'd lollop along miserably taking as wide a detour as possible. Luckily this only went on for a few days and he started to get intrigued by her, Misty was a persistent little madam and determined to win him round.

I'd be inclined to make a big fuss of Bailey when out on your walks together and also try and play with him at home but not go overboard. I don't know how old Bailey is, Jimmy was about 20 months, if he's a lot older it might take longer for him to get used to the idea of Einstein being a constant presence.

Jimmy wasn't sick at all, I'm not sure how to explain that - but the weeing could be territory marking, especially if Einstien is weeing in the house.

I found that pushing them together didn't work, it's better to just leave the older dog to get used to the idea in his own time.

Good luck, I hope things improve soon. :)  

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 05:41:09 PM »
:( Sorry to hear Bailey is unhappy.  They probably just need a bit more time together - I'm sure they will be best of friends soon.  Hope things improve.

Hugs for them both x  :)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 06:41:26 PM »
It's gone a bit better today.  I've given Bailey more attention and he has spent more time on the floor near Einstein, only using the sofa as a last escape option now!  No more sickness from him either  :)   Bailey is an older dog (7yrs) and so I suppose he is more set in his ways.

The only problem is, is that Baileys tail is cut into a pom-pom style and is a very entertaining object for a puppy, especially when Bailey is wagging it!  So poor Bailey gets pounced on more and I even caught Einstein humping him, poor guy!

A couple more days and I hope everything will be sorted.

RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Depression In Dogs
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 06:47:30 PM »
The only problem is, is that Baileys tail is cut into a pom-pom style and is a very entertaining object for a puppy, especially when Bailey is wagging it!  So poor Bailey gets pounced on more and I even caught Einstein humping him, poor guy!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Glad to hear things are improving Debbie x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"