Author Topic: Change Of Food ?  (Read 958 times)

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Change Of Food ?
« on: January 28, 2005, 10:23:40 AM »
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a complete dry food  which is particularly good for improving skin and coats? I especially want to try and improve the amount of scurf in her coat.

We've tried Hills and Nutro and plain old pedigree but none seem to help. I've heard Burns might be worth a try. Has anyone any experience of a change in diet improving the health of the skin?

http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Change Of Food ?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 12:57:39 PM »
No first hand experience although I have heard that people have had success with burns. Might be worth looking at the website Burns
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Change Of Food ?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 01:19:56 PM »
Burns suits a lot of dogs but my own experience is that it made our Cockers' coats drier than usual so I have reverted back to Nutro now. Why not try supplementing Scully's food with EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) or FBO (Fish Body Oil) - both are good for the skin & coat :)

Jane
Jane

Offline NinaW

• Site Member
    • http://home.online.no/~nwaldela/
Change Of Food ?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 01:30:14 PM »
Hi

I too have feed my cockers on Hills and also Nutro (Nutro, for a short periode only).  But for the last 3 months they have all been feed on Royal Canin, medium sensible and I am amazed how much better their coats looks.  All my dogs live indoors with me, and normally they gets a bit dull coats during the winter season, since the rooms are warm and dry.
As a bonus, Trudy my fussy eater, has finally found a type of food that she really likes too  :D

Nina

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Change Of Food ?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 10:10:45 PM »
Don't forget good old sardines in sunflower oil and tuna in oil, very cheap and my dogs love it, though remember to tie ears back as spaniel sardine ears are yuk!! :D  

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline mum of kimmi

• Site Member
  • some days are harder than others!!
Change Of Food ?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 10:26:55 PM »
Kimmi has Beta Bravo dried food, and the occational tin of sardines.  Her coat is nice and shiny and smooth. Our old lab used to have a really horrible coat until we started to add a tablespoon of veggie oil to one meal per week.
Kimmi's mum