Author Topic: Worried about Fern after 1st trip to groomer - updated  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: Worried about Fern after 1st trip to groomer
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »
Hope you are back to your old self soon Fern............sorry you are having some discomfort.

Sending cyber hugs and cocker kisses.  :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
Re: Worried about Fern after 1st trip to groomer - updated
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »
Hi everyone, I took Fern to the vets as when I got home from work it was clear that she was really uncomfortable.  He examined her bottom - she screamed the place down, and wet herself  :'( :'( :'(  it was totally awful.

The vet said she was very sore although her glands were empty, he thinks she may have a ruptured gland, but he couldn't really tell.  He has given her an anti-inflammatory injection and some antibiotics and she has to go back Saturday maybe for another anti-inflammatory as they only last 2 days.

If she was sore before, she's worse now - poor love I feel absolutely awful :'( and all because of a bl***y haircut  >:D
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 06:24:53 PM »
I hope fern recovers quickly, I don't know why some groomers insist on doing anal glands, especially if they are fine, but perhaps that's just me.

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery
Phil

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 06:44:39 PM »
Ah no, poor poppet  :'( No wonder she's been so uncomfortable..... Fingers crossed the meds kick in and she becomes more comfortable very very quickly.

Gentle squidges for your girl from me and Maggie  :bigarmhug:
xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 06:53:19 PM »
Aww poor Fern  :luv: :luv: :-* :-* speedy recovery lil girl  :luv:

I would say the groomer has alot to answer for and I would be having words and telling her what the vet has said  >:D

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 07:19:50 PM »
Oh poor Fern, I hope she's feeling better soon :bigarmhug:

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
Poor Fern  :luv: hope she is feeling more comfortable soon.
I agree with others, groomer  >:D needs to be informed of the vets opinion.
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »
Poor Fern, that sounds so sore.  Hope she soon feels better.

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »
Feel so sorry for little Fern. Can a ruptured anal gland be repaired or does it right its self !!!?? Cassie has hers done regularly and now I'm a bit scared, should I ask the groomer to leave it alone?. Is there an "external" way of telling if they need to be emptied?

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 08:55:30 PM »
Poor Fern.   :'(  Hope she's feeling better soon. 
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »
Feel so sorry for little Fern. Can a ruptured anal gland be repaired or does it right its self !!!?? Cassie has hers done regularly and now I'm a bit scared, should I ask the groomer to leave it alone?. Is there an "external" way of telling if they need to be emptied?

Hiya not really sure but vet said if one has ruptured it should repair in time with antibiotics.  I think experts should be able to tell if they are full - we would know from scooting or smell, but she wasn't displaying either.

I'm really not sure whether to complain to groomer, she knows from my phone call this morning that Fern now has problem from it - it may be that she was a bit sensitive in that area.  I know many groomers just do it as part of the service.  Maybe see how much the bill is, and get some advice from the vet.  Do you all think I should ask her to pay?

I feel quite traumatised from the experience in the vets - not only was Fern screaming but she was also vocal to the point of nearly growling - and also wet herself.  I feel SO SO bad - keep hugging her tonight - bet she won't want to go to the vets again.
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 10:04:40 PM »
When mine used to go to the groomers, Vegas would be at the vets within a few days because of his anal glands - without fail! I always put it down to a weird coincidence as the groomer never mentioned emptying them but it never seemed to happen once I started clipping him at home  :-\

A ruptured anal gland sounds very painful - poor girl  :'(  Hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and she feels better really soon  :luv:

If the vets aren't too far away from you, it might be an idea, once she is better, to just pop along when they are quiet and sit in the waiting room with her for a few minutes with some yummy treats then leave - that way she shouldn't start to associate the vets with only bad experiences.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about Fern's anal glands & her upsetting visit to the vets  :'(

I'm really not sure whether to complain to groomer, she knows from my phone call this morning that Fern now has problem from it - it may be that she was a bit sensitive in that area.  I know many groomers just do it as part of the service.  Maybe see how much the bill is, and get some advice from the vet.  Do you all think I should ask her to pay?

I feel quite traumatised from the experience in the vets - not only was Fern screaming but she was also vocal to the point of nearly growling - and also wet herself.  I feel SO SO bad - keep hugging her tonight - bet she won't want to go to the vets again.

Tbh i would be angry with the groomer  >:(  i can understand if you had asked her to empty her anal glands but you didn't, so i would ask her to pay the vet's bill.  :shades:  I have never let even my vet touch any of my dog's anal glands because imo once they start emptying them it becomes a regular event.  :016:  Unless there is a problem with their glands i think it is best to leave them alone.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »
poor wee girl :'( :'(

Please don't blame yourself :bigarmhug:

I agree with Ninasmum about the groomer and the vet's bill  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 10:40:55 PM »
Just checking back to see how Fern is and I'm shocked, hope she feels better soon  :luv: :luv:

My vet showed me how to empty anal glands, but fortunately never had to do it. You can feel if they need doing, and this usually coinsides with the scooting and biting after having a poo. I also recently went on a grooming course and was suprised that even on a one day course we were instructed how to empty them.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge