Author Topic: Worried about Fern after 1st trip to groomer - updated  (Read 4490 times)

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
Re: Worried about Fern after 1st trip to groomer - updated
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »
Thanks all  :bigarmhug: I can't believe I've been away from this site so long you are all so lovely  :luv:

I will go along to the vets on Sat and then get the bill so see what the damage is - we paid the groomer in cash, not sure how legit the business even is, but it was the vet receptionist that recommended her!  When I took her into the vets today she kept saying how nice she looked and how lovely the groomer was and I was like gritting my teeth thinking I wish i'd never gone!  >:(

Do you think I could just write a letter to the groomer with a copy of the bill and then never go again  :embarassed:
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 10:55:35 PM »
When mine used to go to the groomers, Vegas would be at the vets within a few days because of his anal glands - without fail! I always put it down to a weird coincidence as the groomer never mentioned emptying them but it never seemed to happen once I started clipping him at home  :-\

A ruptured anal gland sounds very painful - poor girl  :'(  Hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and she feels better really soon  :luv:

If the vets aren't too far away from you, it might be an idea, once she is better, to just pop along when they are quiet and sit in the waiting room with her for a few minutes with some yummy treats then leave - that way she shouldn't start to associate the vets with only bad experiences.

Thanks Jay that's good advice!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 07:37:53 AM »
This is exactly why I was taught NOT to empty anal glands unless specifically requested by the owner. A lot of groomers do it as part of groom, but I wont for just this sort of reason. I even refused to do someones dogs a while back as she was wanting them done every visit and they didn't need doing it would have just made him sore. Hope you get itsorted for your baby.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 08:10:45 AM »
How is Fern today Caroline??? sending loads of love and hugs from here for a speedy recovery  :luv:

My Fern has got her nose out of joint at the mo and can't wait for Saturday morning when she gets her house back - she really knows how to make me feel guilty for puppy sitting  :005:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »
Hiya she's about the same today - she was fine out walking in the field but started running to sit as soon as she got back, and was then wanting to sit on me and be cuddled for ages  :luv: she's sleeping now.  Poor baby girl with sore bottom.  I just hope the vet tomorrow doesn't want to 'examine' her as that will just hurt her all over again.  I'm hoping I can just ask him to give another anti inflammatory injection.  I really hope there's no permanent damage  :'(

We'd do doggy sitting if we didn't have a cat (as much as I love her), I'd love to be able to do that for people - one day maybe!

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 08:48:25 AM »
I'm just catching up with your thread Caroline  :o :'(
I'm so sorry Ferns having a terrible time at the moment & hope things settle down very soon for her  :luv:
I can only echo what others have said in ref to the Groomer but have to say mine never goes near Purdeys glands - that is left to the vet (& from experience, I know how difficult it can be & I try to stick to one particular vet who seems to be able to do it quickly but efficiently, causing less stress for Purdey.)
Gentle healing hugs for little Fern & for you too :bigarmhug:  :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 09:09:26 AM »
So sorry to hear all this and hope Fern is starting to feel a little less sor. As others have already said. I think it important that the groomer is aware of her part in all of this as you would hate to think of another dog going through it just because of her heavy handedness.

Eve

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 10:29:04 AM »
Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to make her more comfortable? 

Offline jessandme

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 11:13:36 AM »
I think that the best thing you can do for her is just to be there.  She'll feel better if you are with her.  The anti-inflammatory injection has a pain-relieving effect, so that will be helping too.   

Not all groomers empty anal glands as a standard procedure, so I don't think that your groomer should have assumed you wanted it done as routine.   I certainly wouldn't.  We did once have an accident at the groomers with our first cocker, she nicked Lucy's paw whilst trimming underneath.  She was very apologetic indeed and paid the vet's bill as a matter of course, we went straight to the vet, the groomer went in with us and asked them to send her the bills. 

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »
When I called to ask if she'd done glands she said sorry she was uncomfortable and suggested I put some witch hazel on it - I don't know her surname or anything - just her first name and telephone number.  I am not a person who likes complaining so it is very awkward, that's why I thought perhaps writing to her?

What do you think may have caused all the discomfort?  She must be used to doing them.  I just put some sudocream on her bottom but she didn't seem to like it so have washed it off with a warm flannel.  Have never seen her looking so miserable apart from when she was spayed.  :'(

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 04:28:36 PM »
Just coming on for an update on Fern.  Sorry she has had so many problems since her grooming.  Sounds like it is more than just a bit of discomfort too.

Wishing you a speedy recovery little Fern.  xxxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »
Just coming on for an update on Fern.  Sorry she has had so many problems since her grooming.  Sounds like it is more than just a bit of discomfort too.

Wishing you a speedy recovery little Fern.  xxxx

Aww thanks ever so much - well she was quite sore again today, and at lunchtime she normally comes and sits at my feet in the kitchen when I prepare food but she didn't, and when I had my lunch she just stayed in her chair.  Then I had to go out for an hour so left her with a kong as I normally do.  When I got home she greeted me in her usual excitable fashion, running up and down the hallway, and didn't scuttle and lie down at all!  I felt it was a corner turned!  We then went out for a walk and she was ok - although she hasn't had a poo since the visit to the vet, I am sure that will hurt. 

I am thinking the antibiotics must be starting already, she has only had two though.  I really do hope she is on the mend.

I am a bit worried about taking her to the vet tomorrow and traumatising her all over again so if I think she's much better I may cancel it but if I think she could do with another anti-inflammatory then I will take her but ask him not to examine her.

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
 :bigarmhug: sending hugs to both of you.
This sounds awful poor Fern.  I'm really worried now as Connie goes to the groomers and they empty them every time i think.  I must have thought that was normal and has to be done but reading the posts it seems not.
If they dont have their anal glads emptied do they eventually need to get done at the vets or do they empty naturally?
Sorry to ask questions but this has worried me as whats happened to Fern is so awful.
I hope it goes okay at the vets tomorrow.
Angie x
Angie & Connie

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 07:42:35 PM »
Hi Angie, I think if your dog regularly has hers done then there shouldn't be a problem. 

Fern doesn't have hers done as a rule although I think I've taken her to the vet twice in 6 years because she was smelly and scooting.  She usually clears them when she poos, and a tiny bit of bran in her diet definitely helps. 

Some dogs have trouble emptying them naturally and need to have them done manually.  I think this is why people are shocked that this groomer did it without asking, as not all dogs require it.  They shouldn't just do it as a matter of course, because it can sometimes lead to them only being able to be emptied manually once you start down this road.

There are quite a lot of threads on anal glands if you're worried, but I don't think you need to be - unless you want to have a try at seeing if Connie empties them naturally.  You'll know if hers have got blocked as it smells (fishy) and she will scoot.

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »
Thanks Caroline i felt sick when i read what's happened to Fern it sounds so awful for her.
I hope she's feeling better and is on the mend.
Angie x
Angie & Connie