Author Topic: Worried about Fern after 1st trip to groomer - updated  (Read 4518 times)

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
Re: Worried about Fern after 1st trip to groomer - updated
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
Thanks Angie, it's been a tough couple of days - spent ages pondering whether to even go down the grooming route, then we decided it was in her best interests as she was so woolly and knotty.  It was not an easy decision but we made it, and then this happened  :'(

She does seem to be a bit better, she was all over me earlier when I had a piece of cake, whereas this morning and lunchtime when I prepared and ate food she wouldn't even get up which was very unusual.

I will post an update after I've been to the vet tomorrow - although it's a retired one who does Saturdays but I will try and ask some questions and get his opinion on it all if I can.  Having said that I will probably want to get her out asap!

xxx
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 09:31:40 PM »
OOO sounds as tho she is starting to feel a wee bit better

Fen says .......... make your mummy suffer as long as possible as you get lots of goodies that way  :005:

Seriously hoping your fern recovers / is less sore real soon  :luv: :-*

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
Cazza it is a bit like that she had a "relapse" when hubby got hom from work, but I do think it is genuine - she's had a poo now and that was ok so that's something less to worry about.  She is getting a few more treats  :005:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »
Hi guys, Fern was still uncomfortable this morning.  Took our trip to the vets, she walked in fine, which was a relief.  I asked vet not to examine and he said he wouldn't but then decide to give a little squeeze  >:D.  Luckily she didn't scream, although she did wet herself again  :'(

He doesn't think there is anything serious to worry about, he thinks she is just sore, and also a bit uncomfortable from the short back and sides her rear end has received.  He's given me some cream to put on her bot twice a day.

Cost of the two visits plus meds £49.  Could have been worse, the vet consultation was put down as 'minor' and £9.06 each whereas they are usually at least £25 - maybe that's them feeling responsible for putting me in touch with groomer in first place  :-\

I asked if he felt she shouldn't have done it, and he just shrugged it off as something they often do and not a problem; didn't like him very much  >:(

But I think Fern is on the mend - what a horrible few days though - have to learn how to groom her properly myself, not going to put her through that again!

Thank you for all your support  :-*

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »
Poor Fern, she must be very sore and  uncomfortable, especially when examined.  I'm really pleased to hear she is getting better even if it is slowly.
I hope you see a bigger improvement in her over the weekend.
Angie x
Angie & Connie

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2011, 11:35:17 AM »
Pleased she is starting to feel a little better.

Eve

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »
 :luv: :luv:  glad to hear she is on the mend

Are you googling courses on grooming now ??? Good luck grooming her yourself in future  :-*

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
So glad to read that Fern is recovering from her ordeal.....poor little girl.

Sending cyber hugs through the air waves.  :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2011, 11:23:24 PM »
Glad Fern is feeling a bit better.
I used to groom my cockers myself and it was not the easiest thing in the world, but at least if you mess it up, YOU have made the mistake not someone else and let's face it, the fur grows back very quickly.
Good luck and hope that Fern is 100% again very soon.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 07:19:25 AM »
Thanks everyone, yes she is loads better  :D - have been thinking about grooming her myself - but will probably wait a couple of months before making any decisions.  It's such a shame because the groomer has done a fantastic job with her coat.  She just looks like she did before she was spayed.  We are making a point of brushing her every night now, so hopefully it won't get so knotty.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »
sending loads of hugs from here

Good luck with brushing her daily yourself

My fern is a nightmare and will sit for 5 min then run off and then come back for more  :lol2:

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 09:23:45 AM »
Have only just sat and read this all the way through...poor Fern! Im so glad she's on the mend now, I know how it feels to have a poorly dog with a very sore bum! Hope she continues to improve

:bigarmhug:
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »
Aww thanks ever so much, it was ever so traumatic - she looks so lovely as a result of it so it's such a shame the experience has been so ruined from this reaction. I was wondering if some of it was psychological, she may have felt traumatised being groomed - I guess we will never know but it's put us off taking her again, just in case.  Her bottom is definitely ok now.

Last night she worried me as she was shaking her head and I thought Oh god what now I can't cope with anything else, but thankfully she seems to be ok today, possibly hairs irritating.   

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:49 PM »
Pleased to hear that she is back to being herself again, lovely  :luv:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »
Thanks ejp - the support on here has been amazing  :luv: