Author Topic: Back from kennel stay with hoarse voice  (Read 1189 times)

Offline tritonx

Back from kennel stay with hoarse voice
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »
I left Fraser in a kennel for 2 nights while I went in to the city. When I picked him up he seemed energetic enough though later he seemed to have lost his sparkle, quite low key (he's almost 2 so usually is Mr. high spirits). I put that down to him being a bit off kilter at being left for so long when he's otherwise with me all the time. Then I noticed his whimper/whine was almost silent as if he had laryngitis. He can bark though it sounds husky. As I'm sure he whined for me most of the time he wasn't playing with other dogs, I thought perhaps he made himself hoarse with constant whining or barking. Then this morning a little tear of eye goo was greenish. That looks to be an infection. It's not much, but not a good sign. He's up to date with all of his shots including bortedella. He's not coughing or wheezing, but I'm concerned. Either way, I'm not happy about the idea of him making himself hoarse by whining or coming home with some virus or bacteria. Thoughts? Can't help worrying.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Back from kennel stay with hoarse voice
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »
Could be he's picked up a spot of conjunctivitis? or even kennel cough :-\ even if he has been vaccinated for it they can still pick up a mild form of it. At the moment I think that kennel cough is running wild with the warm weather and all?? give him a little children's benylin that will sooth his throat or even a little honey. good luck x x x   :luv: :luv:

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:05:48 PM »
I'll try the honey. Hope he doesn't have conjunctivitis. Or kennel cough for that matter, though he's not coughing, just hoarse. I think I'd better just phone the vet to rest my mind, especially as it's the weekend. Just like having a baby this worry over every little thing  :-\

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »
or even kennel cough :-\ even if he has been vaccinated for it they can still pick up a mild form of it.

From what I understand that isn't strictly true - the kc vaccination only protects against certain strains of the virus so dogs can still  pick up many other forms of KC, mild or otherwise  ;)

It sounds like he could have KC
helen & jarvis x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:06:23 PM »
Could be kennel cough or it could just be that he whined or barked so much that he lost his voice :o which is what happened to my first Cocker when he had to stay a couple of nights in kennels once. He got his voice back after a day or so.

It sounds like he also has an eye infection too. You could try gently bathing his eyes with cold black tea, which will be soothing, but he may need some antibiotic ointment to get rid of it entirely. My William has occasional eye infections because he has dry eye (and I'm certainly not saying that Fraser has) but they don't cause him much of a problem and clear up quickly.

Hope Fraser is back to normal very soon :luv:

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I phoned the vet and talked to the assistant. She said, see how he goes over the weekend and bring him in on Monday if he seems to be going downhill. Much as I expected. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's just hoarseness  and eyes are okay. Will try the tea. I think I've got kennel cough. Feeling quite itchy in the lungs and almost a sore throat. Dosing with echinacea.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
or even kennel cough :-\ even if he has been vaccinated for it they can still pick up a mild form of it.

From what I understand that isn't strictly true - the kc vaccination only protects against certain strains of the virus so dogs can still  pick up many other forms of KC, mild or otherwise  ;)

It sounds like he could have KC

Yes that's true - KC Vac only covers about 3 or 4 strains of KC and there are a lot more that it doesn't cover.

Having said that Normy quite often has a sore voice when I pick her up from the dog sitters as she gets stressed being away from us and uses her voice a lot ph34r so it might just be that with Fraser too. I'd see how he goes over the next day or so but if the eye doesn't clear up by tomoz I'd talk to the vet as you don't want to mess around with eyes ;)

ETA: Sorry posted at the same time as you tritonx!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:34:37 PM »
here's hoping he is just a wee bit hoarse and it is not KC   :luv:

Here's hoping the eye clears naturally and it is nothing more x x x

Offline tritonx

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 02:36:41 AM »
Uh oh. Fraser is sitting looking at me, wanting a cuddle and his left eye is blinking more than the right one. It's obviously bothering him a bit. It's not leaking much, but there was another small tear of greenish goop late today. Now I'll have to wait until Monday. Is there anything medicinal and safe I can use to bathe his eye? Will cold tea actually reduce an infection if there is one? He's still not coughing and ate his dinner with his usual gusto, though I'd say he's slept a bit more today than he usually does.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 08:51:59 AM »
Uh oh. Fraser is sitting looking at me, wanting a cuddle and his left eye is blinking more than the right one. It's obviously bothering him a bit. It's not leaking much, but there was another small tear of greenish goop late today. Now I'll have to wait until Monday. Is there anything medicinal and safe I can use to bathe his eye? Will cold tea actually reduce an infection if there is one? He's still not coughing and ate his dinner with his usual gusto, though I'd say he's slept a bit more today than he usually does.

I personally would bath his eye with some cooled saline (salt dissolved in boiled water left to cool) I would use cotton wool balls to dip in the water (I usually do the water on a saucer) and wipe and throw the cotton wool ball and then a fresh cotton wool ball to wipe again (one wipe only with one ball so you don't spread any infection)

I had to do this with the pup I had here the other week - just to keep the eye clean after she cut herself right by her eye (took her to the vets and was told that was the best and safest thing to use)

Hope that helps  :luv: Then get him to the vets when they open on Tuesday to get it checked again

Offline tritonx

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
Good idea. I'll try it. I have some sterile gauze pads I can use. So far his eye doesn't look inflamed nor is a lot of goop coming out. He may have got a big of dried grass in his eye as he's been rolling around in the grass lately.

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »
When we went away for a week, and left our 3 in kennels for the first time ever, Bonnie came back with no voice, but the other 2 were fine.
I hope Fraser feels better soon!
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!