Author Topic: Tummy Upset....  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Tummy Upset....
« on: January 31, 2005, 06:20:54 PM »
Molo's birthday present to me on Saturday was a very early wake up call cos he had diarrhea. He'd also been a little bit sick  :( . I was not that surprised, as he had quite soft stools for a couple of days prior to this.

I starved him for 24 hours, and then reintroduced small portions of rice with a little of his kibble yesterday and today. Unfortuantely, now this has worked throuh his system, he is passing soft stools again; to be graphic, the are all soft, but some of it is formed and some isn't  :ph34r:

I have booked an appointment see the vet tomorrow afternoon; but wanted to canvass opinion about 'prescription diets' which they seem quite keen on at my surgery; and also whether we would be best to change Molo's food - he's on Nutro Puppy at the moment, but am thinking about changing him to Burns - if I did this, is it worth doing it gradually, or should I just swop over given that his tummy is not right anyway?  :unsure:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 06:25:36 PM »
Poor Molo...I hope he is feeling better soon.

I would probably stick with chicken and rice for a couple of days, then gradually introduce the complete food a little at a time.

I swapped Lottie from Nutro to Burns in one go and she had no ill affects, but considering that Molo has an upset tummy it might be best to take it slowly.

Goldie and Lottie send kisses to Molo to get well soon.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 07:51:58 PM »
Don't know too much about Prescription Diet's except it's a good way of vet's making loads of money out of you  ;) ie: Hill's which they are on commission for.
Anyway If Molo has been fine on Nutro up until now I don't see any reason to change it. I would just feed him cooled boiled rice and a small amount of chicken for a few days, make sure he's got plenty of water and see how he goes. He's probably just eaten something he shouldn't have and has an upset tummy.
I wouldn't even bother going to the vet's or paying them to put him on a prescription diet.
Edited to add: My OH gave Buttons 3 Pig's Ears in one day once and she has the run's for about 4 days on and off, I just fed her boiled rice and she was right as rain  ;)  

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 08:02:16 PM »
I changed Molly to Burns and find it excellent, but then she was always having problems.  I'm with Gilly on this one, if he's been ok on Nutro so far then maybe he's just picked up a little bug and will be ok after a couple of days with rice.  If it was one of mine, I wouldn't let it go more than a 4 days before going to the vet in case it's something that needs treatment.

Hope he's okay soon.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 08:46:14 PM »
Thanx Gilly, I kind of suspected that Prescription Diet foods may be a bit of a money spinner  :rolleyes:

Its difficult to tell if Nutro has agreed with Molo up until now; he has always had a tendancy to get soft poo for a day or two maybe once a fortnight or so  - but he does eat all sorts of weird stuff like sticks and other 'rubbish' he picks up off the street and I'm not quick enough to recover; and I had put these occasional bouts down to his dustbin-like lifestyle :D  I am now wondering whether it might be the Nutro after all  :unsure:

He is definitely not right at the moment though; he has lost weight (even though I have cut right back on his exercise - he only got 15 minutes walk today  :( ) and he was eating grass in the garden earlier. Other than that he seems OK; and apart from when he poo's (he strains quite a lot) he is fine in himself.

I hope that I will be reassured after a chat with the vet tomorrow; in the meantime, I'm sure COL will keep me sane  ;)  
Oldies Club

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 08:52:42 PM »
:( Sorry to hear Molo has been unwell, hope he is soon better.  When I changed Georgie and Daisy over to Burns I did find that their stools were much firmer - what a subject !!  :rolleyes:

Hug for Molo from Georgie and Daisy xxx  :)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 09:40:16 PM »
If you think it might be the Nutro that doesn't agree with him then change it, just wait until he's feeling a bit better, which I am sure he will soon  :)
Burns are very good at giving advice regarding the right kind of food  :)
When Butty had that tummy upset she was outside for 1/2 an hour at a time straining  :huh: and she was a bit down, a bit like us I suppose when we're feeling rather delicate.
I'm sure the vet will set your mind at rest, just don't be rushed into buying their prescription diet thats all  ;)  

scoobie

Tummy Upset....
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 08:55:22 AM »
Just caught up with this thread and I hope you get on ok at the vets with little Molo
Rachel when Scoobie was diagnosed in october with EPI (pancreatic disorder)the vet recommended Hills prescription dog food and I kept him on it for a few weeks just to stabalise 'things' i never felt happy with the food thought it was a gimmick and told the vet this who took offence ;) anyway.. on the good advice from COL members I strated to give naturediet and have never looked back especially the herbal range for sensitive tums
Im not telling you to put Molo on naturediet as Burns is excellent but I needed a wet food to mix the enzymes in well which he needs at every meal
hope Molo is feeling better soon x  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 06:30:48 PM »
Just back from the vets with Molo (who was an embarrassment he was sooooo friendly to everyone  :rolleyes: )

As I suspected there are a lot of 'bugs' going around at the moment; and Molo is not showing any significant signs of illness - gums OK, gut soft etc etc  :)

I agreed, reluctantly, to feed Molo Hills Canine i/d, but only for 3 days, at which point I will slowly transfer him back over to Nutro.

I will wait a few weeks before deciding whether to change his food; as I have said on another thread; our local store doesn't stock Burns so I may have to order it online  :unsure:  I had not considered Naturediet as it is a 'wet' food; but I'll have a look at their website, thanks.

He is still a bit weak and watery; he has crashed out now, after leaping about at the vets for 1/2 hour; usually he would be able to keep it up for much longer  :lol:  
Oldies Club

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 06:59:17 PM »
:) Pleased to hear that Molo got on ok at the vets.  Fingers and paws crossed that he will soon be back to his old self.

Great BIG hugs from us x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 07:03:17 PM »
I knew they'd get you to buy that prescription diet  :lol:  ;)

Glad he is feeling a bit better anyway  :)  I hjave to mail order from Burns to, Ordered some on Thursday night and it was here yesterday afternoon always get a great service from them. Might be better as mentioned before to get soem samples first  :)  

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 07:10:29 PM »
Glad Molo's feeling better Rachel.

Gilly, the Larbert Country Store (next to the bus depot) sells Burns if you need someone local  ;) .
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 07:48:11 PM »
Do you know Tracey I did wonder about them....do you know if they stock Burns Canine Extra?? I'll try and find the number and ask them  :)  

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 09:15:20 PM »
I wouldn't always knock the vet for suggesting Hills for a few days if your pooch has a poorly tum. Jasper has had Hills on the odd occasion when he's been very sicky and it's always settled his tum really really quickly ;) . All other times though he's on normal food.

If Molo's a bit of a dustbin - then I would hazzard a guess that that's what's causing his tummy upset and changing his diet possibly won't change anything :huh: .

Some dogs have a greater tendency to have the odd upset - Jasper does where as Buddy's tum is made of lead :lol: I'd see how he does over the next few days and try to stop him picking stuff up that he shouldn't eat - if necessary - use a muzzle - he could pick up something very nasty! Then if his stools and tum are still the same - look to change his diet.

hth :)  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Tummy Upset....
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 10:15:45 PM »

Jimmy went through a stage of having a lot of stomach upsets and Hills ID definitely helped him recover. My only complaint was one time I went to the vets to get a few tins and they wouldn't let me have any without a consultation, which costs £25 ! I had to drive 5 miles to a different vets to get some and they too were really reluctant.

Does anyone know if the Hills ID is available anywhere on the internet ? I'd like to stock up with a few tins in case of emergency.

Hope Molo feels better soon, Rachel. :)