Author Topic: Ears and the ear canal  (Read 611 times)

Offline Freckle

Ears and the ear canal
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »
Freckle has yet again been to the vets and had a clearing out of ear canals on both sides.

Last time this happened(aug last year) he had total paraylisis on one side of his face - because the infection had caused damage to the nerves that run under the ear.  This has not totally righted itself although now he does have a blink reflex. And his eaten away ear drum appears to now be intact again.

The blink reflex went on the other side of his face and his jowls looked saggy on one side so off to the vets again to start over last night.

So off to pick him up later but the vet is suggesting that after he recovers in about 10 days he does an op that slices open the ear canal allowing more ventilation and therefore less infections.  This can only be done then the ear canal is still intact and not damaged, and therefore by the time most people normally go for this option it is too late and they have to go for a much more invasive full ear canal op.

Does anyone else have experience of anything like this or any vets out there can they give me more info to go on to make an informed decision.

Thanks

Jane

Offline louisedi

Re: Ears and the ear canal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
My
Hessta had an ongoing ear infection for around 18mths, in the end we had the ear cannal removed, she is painfree a lives like a youngester, she is 10, I have never looked back my vets where great & the vets who done the op(six mile bottom near newmarket) they wanted her to stay as she is a poppettxxx
good luck Louise

Offline Freckle

Re: Ears and the ear canal
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
the operation is called lateral wall resection and has good results - but not necessarily in cockers  :-(  .  Got appointment on Tuesday to talk over all questions with vet - but ultimatley I suppose you have to trust their judgement.