Author Topic: More questions about diabetes. UPDATED, Please help..  (Read 3140 times)

Offline wendyt

Re: More questions about diabetes....
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
noelleybelley
I'm so pleased you have got the injection problem sorted out. Once we got into a routine I used to wonder why I got so stressed at the beginning!!!
Although Harry had many infections especially in between his toes, that took ages to clear we managed them with antibiotics and never had to have steriods. Although he had to have a course of Atopica at one stage for a huge and I mean huge ulcer in his mouth.

However I've now got a Indy a WCS pup who has had to have blood tests for a food allergy, the vet had to shave his neck for a blood sample, he then had the most awful case of razor burn which in turn he scratched. In short it's been a nightmare, but I read about Dermacton and sent away for the spray and ointment. From what I gather the spray and ointment are totally natural and contain no steriods, so I would imagine it would be OK to use them at the same time but I would be inclined to check with the vet first. I found the ointment really good, the spray might have to be used on Murphy my other WCS who may have an allergy to pollen. But that's another story.

I'm really sorry to hear Charlie has gone blind. Harry suffered from cataracts but the vet decided that it wasn't worth having them removed at his age as he still had some vision although it was limited. He eventually went on to have dry eyes.

Offline noelleybelley

• Site Member
Re: More questions about diabetes.... UPDATED, please help
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »
Hi, I'm desperate for help with Charlie.  He's got a terrible yeast infection that won't go away and am at my wits end again.

He's got it on all his feet, lip fold, around the eyes, on his bum and winkle (?), in his ears........  The vet has had him on strong oral antibiotics for 4 weeks, then an antibiotic injection and has resorted to steroid spray on his feet, which he's not supposed to have due to the diabetes.  In between, I'm bathing him twice a week with malaseb and he's been taking anti fungal pills for 6 weeks.  The next step is a dermatologist, which is probably a good thing.

Does anyone have any knowledge of raging yeast infections and any remedies to help?  I have Dermacton, but have only used it once, because it seemed to have a swelling effect on one foot.  Plus, we saw the vet the same evening and she gave me the steroid spray, so didn't want to use both at the same time.

Any advice very welcome, please   :'(

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: More questions about diabetes. UPDATED, Please help..
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2011, 01:19:56 AM »
So sorry you are going through all of this :bigarmhug: Jordie had a bad internal and external yeast infection when I got him. In light of the diabetes and yeast infection I would get a full thyroid panel done on him (total T4, free T4; total and free T3; TgAA; T3AA; T4AA; and TSH) just a T3/T4 can give a false normal.                 Coconut oil, given in the food is great for yeast; start small, 1/2 - 1 tsp. and work up to 1-2 tbsp. (to bowel tolerance)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: More questions about diabetes. UPDATED, Please help..
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 01:42:28 AM »
Oops, hit the wrong button on my not-so-smart phone :005: Anyway, the herbs Olive Leaf and Pau D' Arco are natural anti-fungals.                            You can try this rinse/foot soak; 1 gal.water, 1 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1-4 cups white vinegar (you can experiment with the vinegar amount, depending on if you use it for a foot soak - more vinegar- or a rinse- less. Dip feet in or pour over dog after bath and let dry. You can also make a boric acid solution, 1/2 tsp boric acid to 2 cups water and dab on lip folds or shin lesions. Boric acid has been proven effective on yeast.               Antibiotics are only of value for secondary infections, they won't kill the yeast. I see he is on an anti-fungal (hopefully Ketaconozole), that is good. I do have to say though that what really turned Jordie around was getting him on thyroid meds, his was barely functioning. The thyroid really regulates the whole immune system, and has a link to diabetes. Best of luck and keep us posted :luv: 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne