Author Topic: Opinions please - spaying?  (Read 494 times)

Offline rubyduby

Opinions please - spaying?
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:27:17 PM »
I have just had my blue roan Topaz spayed, she was in season early April and I was advised to let her have one season before doing so.

However her sister Ruby has not had a season yet she is now 16 months, the vet had said NOT to wait and see if she comes on heat, but to go ahead she is booked for her spay next Tuesday..Otherwise it could be nudging 2 even IF she comes on heat fairly soon.

Can I ask has anyone had a 'late' season with their bitch, are there any reasons why she might not have a season...
These are the first bitches I have ever had spayed and I want to get it right....

(I know someone will probably ask if I could have missed her, but I have been walking them out regularly with a dog, who I am sure would have picked up on her being in season, he knew with Topaz before we did)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Opinions please - spaying?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:39:23 PM »
I don't understand why the vet doesn't want to wait  :-\  it doesn't matter if she is a little older when she is spayed.  :shades: 
Personally i would wait until she has had a season & if by any chance you did miss her 1st season, (although its does sound that you haven't) there is no problem having her spayed when she is a little older.  :shades:
Nina had her 1st season at nearly 15 mths old & i'm sure there are some other col'ers dogs that had later season's than that.  If i remember correctly there are a couple of girls that were 2 yrs with their 1st.  :shades:
Sorry i don't know the answer as to why she wouldn't have a season.  Hopefully someone else will come along soon.  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
Hi

I would not worry and I would wait I have had 2 bitches that did not have their first season till after 18 months and then went 12 months plus between seasons which seems to have been the norm for this line of cockers, I did have them spayed later.

I currently have Jodie from the same line who is 19 months and neither her or 3 of her sisters have come into season yet and my vet has recommended we wait now untill after a season (which is what we were planning but it is longer than planned) as we do not know when she will come in.

I think they worry about doing a spay if they may be due in season and prefer to spay a few weeks after a season.  I think it is due to blood loss ?? I am sure a COL will explain the back ground
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
I have just read your post, so I'm sorry if my reply is a little late.

My Daisy did not have her first season until she was almost 2yrs old.  Her next season was approx 9 months later.  I let her have 3 seasons, and then she was spayed at almost 4yrs of age.  She was spayed in the middle of her cycle. 

I would definitely say "wait" and don't be pushed into it.  I always take the Vet's advice with great interest, but have to remember, at the end of the day, that they are running a business.  My Vet advised me to book Daisy in for spaying when she was only 8 months old.  I said that I was thinking about having a litter from her and wanted to think about it.  I also pointed out that with cockers, they really are late bloomers and need to have their first season, at least, before considering being spayed.  But until I said that, I was very much given the "hard sell" about cancer, etc.  And I know many cocker owners who have been encouraged to spay their girls before the first season. 

If there's no medical hurry to do so, I would definitely wait and take your time.

Good luck!