Author Topic: Diarrhoea - Don't read if you have a queasy stomach.  (Read 774 times)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Diarrhoea - Don't read if you have a queasy stomach.
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »
Two days ago Pippa ate a plum which had fallen off the tree in the garden.  As it was just one I wasn't too concered.  Yesterday morning at 4am I was woken by her barking, took her outside and she had violent diarrhoea.  Came back in and discivered a pile of sick on the rug with four plum stones in -  Oops, I thought.  Need to keep a better eye on her and no more trips to the garden until the trees are bare and all fallen plums picked up.

This morning came downstairs to find Barney sitting in a huge pile of diarrhoea which had leaked out of his crate onto the surrounding walls and floor.  He had never barked to let us know he needed to go out, just sat there amongst it all looking really upset.  I think he must have eaten some of Pippa's sick before I got to it.

Both seem to have settled down now and seem perky enough, so I am hoping they are recovering okay.  I wish there was a way to explain to them the connection between eating the things I tell them not to and the consequences later on...

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Diarrhoea - Don't read if you have a queasy stomach.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
Your not on your own  :luv: phoebe and mia think that all the leaves that are falling are for them to eat >: But phoebe must have eaten part of a conker and you guessed it diawosits >:( that's part and parcel of being a cocker owner they will eat almost anything >:( x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »
Are you able to temporarily fence off the plum tree until all the plums have gone?

Plum stones, along with peach and nectarine stones contain toxins and can be dangerous to dogs, especially if crunched up and split open by the dog http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peterwedderburn/100032752/dont-feed-your-animals-barbed-wire-and-other-tips-to-avoid-problems-with-pets/

A couple of years ago one of my Cockers, William, swallowed a nectarine or peach stone that he picked up out on a walk. He didn't crunch, just swallowed whole, and the advice from the vet was to monitor him. As he hadn't crunched it the vet thought there was more danger of a blockage than poisoning. Luckily William didn't have any problems and must have passed it OK.

It sounds like Pippa didn't crunch the stones as you could see them after she'd been sick, so probably her symptoms were down to simply eating too much acid fruit, but perhaps you should phone your vet for some advice, just to be on the safe side.

Hope they're back to normal tomorrow :luv:

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I know the stones have cyanide in, but thankfully it is only in small quantities.

Both dogs are back to normal.  We were a bit blase about the trees because Barney has never bothered with the plums, but we didn't take the greediness of a cocker spaniel into account. 

We can't fence the trees off but we've picked up all the fallen plums and the trees are almost bare now, so we will be able to let them back in the garden soon.

Offline montydavies

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 05:10:08 PM »
deffo not the only one!!  We live near a Beech wood that Monty gets walked in every day, on thursday he snarfled up a load of beech nuts, and promptly came home and puked them all up again!!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:39:26 PM »
Glad they're back to normal :D

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »
deffo not the only one!!  We live near a Beech wood that Monty gets walked in every day, on thursday he snarfled up a load of beech nuts, and promptly came home and puked them all up again!!

I bet Monty can snarfle up an awful lot of beech nuts too  :005:

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:54:24 AM »
Ooo-er! Sasha managed to eat one off my plum tree and was sick 3 or 4 times - didnt know if it was the plum or the anti B's she was on for a cracked toe nail. 

After reading this I guess it was the plum - and I'd fenced the tree off, little  >:D had pinched one I'd not noticed which had fallen outside of the fence.

Glad your two are ok  now  :D