Author Topic: Anal Glands  (Read 522 times)

Offline sandie72

Anal Glands
« on: September 18, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »
I know this isn't a very nice subject for a Sunday morning but just wanted some advice as this is something I don't know much about...I have read previous threads but just wanted to pick some of your experienced brains...

Belle who is 1 year old was very fishy smelling last night I let her out and she did move her bowels easily enough...this morning no smell but she hasn't done her usual morning poo yet...I guess what I am asking is even with the smell not being there should I still take her to the vets tomorrow and get her checked over or can they sometimes sort themselves out.

She is eating proplan I have reduced her amount slightly as was told from the groomer last week she was a tiny bit overweight (12.7kg)

Thankyou.  :D

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Anal Glands
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
Yes, they can empty themselves most of the time. They usually empty them a bit when they poo, but some dogs are not able to, especially if their poo is too soft (it needs a bit of pressure from firm stool)

Belle may have sorted herself or you may have been smelling a little residue. You can use this video to check her yourself. Even if you don't want to empty the glands yourself, you can check to see if she needs it. Check as shown in the video; full glands will feel like small grapes under the tail (you'll need to use a little bit of pressure to feel them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFDOzbBVrw&feature=related
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline sandie72

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
Thank you Spanielcrazy...I can feel them and they are quite large...she still hasn't passed any stools today so think a visit to the vets may be in order...don't think I have the courage to do it myself and would be scared in case I did it wrong.
Poor Belle  :'(  the more I think of it she really hasn't been her normal self.

Offline Marian

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
I've had to do Harvey a few times before. The vet was happy to show me how (I was getting a bit fed up with paying £16 for something I could do myself!!)

Because of skin problems Harv has to have a bath once a week, and so I routinely check him bottom (only other dog owners would understand this!!!), and when he is all soapy it is an ideal time to empty his glands.

I have to say though that he has been on Chappy for the past 4 weeks, and so his poo is firmer, and his glands have not needed any attention - something that Harv is very happy about.  :005:

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/robinw48/dsc000685.jpg[IMG]