Author Topic: Forbidden Foods ....  (Read 5193 times)

Offline c19unn

• Donator
Forbidden Foods ....
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »
Hey guys after reading about the corn on the cob thread i was just wondering what i should never let diesel eat ...
Is there any common things that people think is ok but is actually extremely harmful?
Thanks
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Forbidden Foods ....
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:09:53 AM »
Here are a few:

Chocolate
Grapes/Raisins
Onion
Avocado

You can also download a list of dangerous subtances/poisonous plants etc from the Dogs Trust website HERE
Jane

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »
Thanks Jane - Is the list on the dogs trust stire mostly plants as i have never heard of most of these - quite frightening
My name is Diesel

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:08:32 AM »
Thanks Jane - Is the list on the dogs trust stire mostly plants as i have never heard of most of these - quite frightening

Mostly plants but also the things I mentioned above and other substances too. Some of the plants are more common than you might think so worth checking them out and remembering for the future in case you have them in your garden.
Jane

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »
Apart from plants and foods please please be super-careful with anti-freeze (especially now it's getting colder).  Ingestion of this is very often fatal (and dogs may be attracted by it's sweet taste).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline seaangler

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »
Apart from plants and foods please please be super-careful with anti-freeze (especially now it's getting colder).  Ingestion of this is very often fatal (and dogs may be attracted by it's sweet taste).

Good post from above...

As i have said in other post be very careful of antifreeze...Its not just puddles that these idiots put antifreeze in but also soak bread with it...Avoid your dog eating any bread while you are out and about...I must point out that anti freeze is a silent killer it does not affect your dog straight away but some time later..Please please be aware....

I have given you one site that has toxic plants that will affect your dog..but will put the link back for you... http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/toxic-garden-plants.html

Lots of information can be colleted of the internet about the above topic....Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »
About the chocolate; It isn't that dangerouss as many people think. Cockers (weighs about 13 kg) would have to eat about 90 grams of pure chocolate to make them sick... milkchocolate is less dangerous (for a cocker about 900 grams) and white chocolate even less
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline seaangler

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 11:48:20 AM »
About the chocolate; It isn't that dangerouss as many people think. Cockers (weighs about 13 kg) would have to eat about 90 grams of pure chocolate to make them sick... milk chocolate is less dangerous (for a cocker about 900 grams) and white chocolate even less

I do agree in what you are saying we to gave are dogs chocolate years ago...(we did not know then as we know today about the ill afects it has on dogs)....I think it al depends on a dog metabolism(my opinion only)A bigger dog no dowt can cope with the chocolate as to where a smaller dogs will not...

All are dogs from years ago all lived to a great age and what we gave them then ...They came to no harm.... :dunno:

There is a lady down are road that has a big fat over wight Labrador dog that she is killing with kindness its eight years old(and a very lovable mut) and she has said it gets a bar of chocolate every day...Were ever it will die or not soon because of heart fail er or die of poisoning from the chocolate!!! Who knows...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 12:11:55 PM »
Watch out for those cheeky monkeys who like to sort through your handbags and the shopping, a few have been very ill as a result of getting hold of tablets (paracetomol etc)!

Regarding plants, I was shocked to find something as silly as daffodil bulbs are poisonous so watch out to everyone planting out their bulbs followed by the ever helpful spaniel digging them up as you go!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
I've had experience of chocolate poisoning with Jess. She polished off half a bar of Green and Black's 70% when she was about 2, and she was pretty poorly at the time. She got better but the vet gave me a terrible row for letting it happen, so we both came home with our tails between our legs!

HOWEVER - Jess became extremely sensitised to chocolate, so that when she licked out a bowl (at the dishwasher, cocker-fashion) which had contained some chocolate flavoured ice-cream, she became very poorly indeed and had to be put on a drip and we thought we'd lose her. Since then, I've been paranoid about dogs and chocolate.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Doogers

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »
Very good thread - I've very naive about what dogs were allowed >:(

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
Very good thread - I've very naive about what dogs were allowed >:(

Quite agree - maybe a case for making a Sticky so the information is readily available? - what does everyone reckon
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »
Am i right in thinking that Ham is bad for them im sure i read it somewhere and told off my mother when i found her giving him a slice of ham which is meant for sandwiches.............
My dad looked at me funny along with the OH who adviosed that ham and pork were fine - so i have no idea  :dunno:

I avoid chocolate with him as he doesnt need it and wont miss it if he gets none  :005:

I also had no idea what was allowed and what wasnt - i assumed they could basically eat anything  ph34r

P.S with corn on the cob is it the corn or the corn still on the cob that is dangerous ?
My name is Diesel

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »
Ham is ok in small doses but I wouldn't really feed it because of the salt content  ;) Pork is fine  :D

Xylitol is highly toxic to dogs - it is used as an artificial sweetener in chewing gum and sugar free mints etc so beware of dogs rifling through handbags and pockets.  :-\

Also Cocoa bark chips are toxic so never use them as a mulch on your garden  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline seaangler

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 12:40:08 PM »
Unless your dog is Jewish ham is ok, just keep an eye on his cholesterol ..... ;)

But it has a very high salt content so i would feed him just small bits at a time..

Gemma..Cindy And peggy