Author Topic: Forbidden Foods ....  (Read 5196 times)

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
Re: Forbidden Foods ....
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
Just giving my experience with sea weed. It is the hard roots that are the problem, found on all beaches. If people want to take the risk, it's up to them.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline wendyt

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 02:36:36 PM »
Your'e right about seaweed LynneB, I have a friend who's a veterinary nurse and she was telling me about the dangers of seaweed (the long hard root type, not sure of it's proper name) apparently dogs can't digest it and she has been involved in many operations to remove pieces of undigested seaweed that have caused serious blockages.
 We live right on the coast and I now cringe when we are on the beach and I see people throwing what look like sticks but are infact pieces of seaweed for their dogs. >:(

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »
Your'e right about seaweed LynneB, I have a friend who's a veterinary nurse and she was telling me about the dangers of seaweed (the long hard root type, not sure of it's proper name) apparently dogs can't digest it and she has been involved in many operations to remove pieces of undigested seaweed that have caused serious blockages.
 We live right on the coast and I now cringe when we are on the beach and I see people throwing what look like sticks but are infact pieces of seaweed for their dogs. >:(

Thanks Wendy for your support and confirmation.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 04:48:53 PM »

Just to confirm with Pork - it *used* to be a problem, as a lot of pork was infected with toxospirosis (I think...), but modern farming has virtually irradicated it - there hasn't been a case in the UK for I think 30 yrs (haven't got time to check the references on this, but it's something I looked up when we started feeding raw food to Honey...).  There have been isolated cases in the USA, but these were generally in small-holdings rather than pork produced for general consumption....  you still get a lot of people who will tell you dogs shouldn't eat pork, but they're out-of-date in their advise...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 04:52:16 PM »

Just to confirm with Pork - it *used* to be a problem, as a lot of pork was infected with toxospirosis (I think...), but modern farming has virtually irradicated it - there hasn't been a case in the UK for I think 30 yrs (haven't got time to check the references on this, but it's something I looked up when we started feeding raw food to Honey...).  There have been isolated cases in the USA, but these were generally in small-holdings rather than pork produced for general consumption....  you still get a lot of people who will tell you dogs shouldn't eat pork, but they're out-of-date in their advise...  :D

That is what I thought - as with the chicken wings and carcasses that I give Coco, I always freeze her pork for a while anyway so hopefully that would get rid of most nasties - in any case, she has never had a problem with raw pork  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »
Just giving my experience with sea weed. It is the hard roots that are the problem, found on all beaches. If people want to take the risk, it's up to them.

Sorry to hear what happened to your girl Lynne  :'( I wasn't aware of the dangers either,  thanks for pointing it out  ;)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Are the roots the tube shaped white/yellow bits? fairly firm to touch?

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »

I had no idea of the dangers of seaweed.  Thanks for making us aware of this and so sorry for the loss of Elcie.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 06:04:08 PM »
Are the roots the tube shaped white/yellow bits? fairly firm to touch?

The roots are the hard bits. After what happened to my Elcie I would not let my dogs have any sea weed at all.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »
I think I have the right bits in mind. Freya has eaten this before  :o thankyou so much for the warning, and so sorry for your loss  :'( Freya is on the beach every day and often eating something she finds  >:( Really appreciate the heads up

Offline wendyt

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »
Danni, the stem can be long and quite thick ( thicker than a hosepipe) usually yellow/brownish and rubbery to touch. Sometimes there are what look like roots at the base and there can be fronds :huh: of seaweed still attached at the top. It might be kelp, but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps, It's the best description I can think of.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2011, 06:25:52 PM »
Danni, the stem can be long and quite thick ( thicker than a hosepipe) usually yellow/brownish and rubbery to touch. Sometimes there are what look like roots at the base and there can be fronds :huh: of seaweed still attached at the top. It might be kelp, but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps, It's the best description I can think of.

Its definitely the stalk i'm thinking of, but theres no saying she hasn't had the roots too  :-\ The stalks for some reason is the only bit of any sea weed that shes taking a liking too

Offline wendyt

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2011, 06:47:59 PM »
Danni
I would stop Freya from eating the stalk if you can she really shouldn't eat any of it, stalk or root.  >:(

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »
Sorry wasn't clear, as a pup thats the bit she used to like, she hasn't bothered in recent times. Will certainly be vigilant now I know though

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »
I shall make sure diesel stays away from all sea weed as I don't know which parts of the seaweed are which so to be on the safe side he won't be getting any at all !!
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11