Author Topic: Forbidden Foods ....  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Christal

Re: Forbidden Foods ....
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 10:23:24 AM »

Just to confirm with Pork - it *used* to be a problem, as a lot of pork was infected with toxospirosis (I think...), but modern farming has virtually irradicated it - there hasn't been a case in the UK for I think 30 yrs (haven't got time to check the references on this, but it's something I looked up when we started feeding raw food to Honey...).  There have been isolated cases in the USA, but these were generally in small-holdings rather than pork produced for general consumption....  you still get a lot of people who will tell you dogs shouldn't eat pork, but they're out-of-date in their advise...  :D

Thanks for the info Karma, good to know it's now OK  :D

Guess it's just my age showing  ;)

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
About the chocolate; It isn't that dangerouss as many people think. Cockers (weighs about 13 kg) would have to eat about 90 grams of pure chocolate to make them sick... milk chocolate is less dangerous (for a cocker about 900 grams) and white chocolate even less

I do agree in what you are saying we to gave are dogs chocolate years ago...(we did not know then as we know today about the ill afects it has on dogs)....I think it al depends on a dog metabolism(my opinion only)A bigger dog no dowt can cope with the chocolate as to where a smaller dogs will not...

That's correct, it depends on te weight of the dog and the amount of chocolate pure, milk and white they eat. It's the theobromine in chocolate wich make dog react to it. The amount of theobromine is different in pure (heigher amounts) milk and white chocolate. In milkchocolate is tis 154mg/100g, pure chocolate it is 528 mg/100g
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
OO didn't know about seaweed :o
steffxxx
Thanks for heads up Lynne!

Found this dont be to alarmed yet...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1306+1448&aid=1361

:o the last paragraph of that article (which appears to recommend feeding seaweed and algae to dogs):

Blue-green algae is earth's most concentrated source of chlorophyll. It contains vitamins (especially B12), minerals, trace minerals, and beta carotene. It also has significant amounts of naturally occurring precursors of glycogen and other compounds which nourish and enhance brain activity.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2011, 07:19:50 PM »
Disney is dreadful for eating seaweed - I didn't think it was harmful until my vets said that once it's been swallowed, it dries out and resembles a concrete like substance which makes it really difficult to remove surgically, let alone for the dog to pass it through on it's own.

Sorry to hear about Elcie, Lynne  :'(
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2011, 10:54:54 AM »

Just to confirm with Pork - it *used* to be a problem, as a lot of pork was infected with toxospirosis (I think...), but modern farming has virtually irradicated it - there hasn't been a case in the UK for I think 30 yrs (haven't got time to check the references on this, but it's something I looked up when we started feeding raw food to Honey...).  There have been isolated cases in the USA, but these were generally in small-holdings rather than pork produced for general consumption....  you still get a lot of people who will tell you dogs shouldn't eat pork, but they're out-of-date in their advise...  :D

It's Aujeszky disease  caused by a herpesvirus, wich wil enter the central nervsystem and wil be lethal to dogs. Here in Holland it is'nt recemanded pigs in Holland are al vacinated but not al pigs come from Holland.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »

:o the last paragraph of that article (which appears to recommend feeding seaweed and algae to dogs):

Blue-green algae is earth's most concentrated source of chlorophyll. It contains vitamins (especially B12), minerals, trace minerals, and beta carotene. It also has significant amounts of naturally occurring precursors of glycogen and other compounds which nourish and enhance brain activity.
[/quote]

I give my dogs tablets of blue green algae (it conains Chlorella) they are very healthy voor lots of things, just like the article says
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »

I give my dogs tablets of blue green algae (it conains Chlorella) they are very healthy voor lots of things, just like the article says
[/quote]

Tablet and derivatives are fine but I'm talking about the seaweed found on the beach. Like I said before, if you want to take the risk it is up to you. Losing a much treasured friend is all it takes for me to avoid sea weed.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »

It's Aujeszky disease  caused by a herpesvirus, wich wil enter the central nervsystem and wil be lethal to dogs. Here in Holland it is'nt recemanded pigs in Holland are al vacinated but not al pigs come from Holland.

Actually it was Trichinosis I was talking about - caused by Roundworm infestation.

Had never heard of Aujeszky disease, but on checking UK has been clear of Aujesky since 1991 (it first became a problem in the late 70's so also not to cause of the long-held belief that dogs shouldn't eat pork....).  From a bit of research it seems that AD seems to be regarded in a similar vein as Foot and Mouth, so whole herds are destroyed if infection is suspected making it unlikely that meat from infected pigs would enter the food chain.  Also the indications are that it doesn't remain in the meat once the animal is dead, though the authorities still wouldn't condone allowing meat from infected pigs to enter the food chain in any form. 
Useful to know about, though - thanks for mentioning it!!!  While it doesn't seem like there is a particular risk with what I feed Honey, it's good to know as I might well lay off Pork for a while if we did have a AD outbreak - and I definately like to be well informed about potential issues from what I feed!!  :D

Another food-stuff for dogs to avoid is Macadamia Nuts, by the way... forgot about that one earlier on in the thread!

As far as the seaweed goes - Lynn seems to have made it very clear it was the form the seaweed was in (the indigestable root, acting in a similar way to the cob of corn-on-the-cob) that led to her tragic loss, rather than any chemical (etc) part of the seaweed.  However I imagine Jeff & Annie's comment was rather more related to the fact that blue-green algae has killed several dogs... I would say I was suprised that other people seem to be suggesting it's good... this page might help explain away the inconsistency, though - http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com/2011/05/02/blue-green-algal-blooms-cyanobacteria-and-toxic-blooms/ - I guess the algae itself is beneficial unless and until it has produce the "toxic bloom". 

You learn something new every day!!!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Christal

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »

As far as the seaweed goes - Lynn seems to have made it very clear it was the form the seaweed was in (the indigestable root, acting in a similar way to the cob of corn-on-the-cob) that led to her tragic loss, rather than any chemical (etc) part of the seaweed.  However I imagine Jeff & Annie's comment was rather more related to the fact that blue-green algae has killed several dogs... I would say I was suprised that other people seem to be suggesting it's good... this page might help explain away the inconsistency, though - http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com/2011/05/02/blue-green-algal-blooms-cyanobacteria-and-toxic-blooms/ - I guess the algae itself is beneficial unless and until it has produce the "toxic bloom". 

You learn something new every day!!!  :D

Crikey it sounds horrendous :o

Thanks for the link, all information is good, especially when it concerns all the horrible things that can happen to our pets.
 Just wish my brain would work more like a computer, so I could push a button to access all the info I need.  It's stored in there somewhere, but finding it's a different matter  ph34r

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »
Thanks Karma, I didn't realise BG algae could be taken in table form to enhance health!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »
Thanks Karma, I didn't realise BG algae could be taken in table form to enhance health!

Nor did I - I only knew of it as something to avoid...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »

Nor did I - I only knew of it as something to avoid...
It was me  :009:
Overhere in Holland you can get tablets Chlorella, very healty for humans and pets. Perhaps not the toxic in water growing bluegreen algue blooming on

Kopied and translated from dutch:
Chlorella is a course taken as a supplement to various deficiencies, for dietetic purposes, to replace animal protein, as the best detoxifier of heavy metals and toxins, as a purifier of blood and guts, as a restorer of intestinal flora. Chlorella as a strong detoxifying treatment is recommended to gradually build chlorella cure
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline Pam501

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
Getting back to the chocolate - I have a friend who had a gorgeous brown lab.  He was about 2 1/2.  My friends had company one day and left a chocolate gateaux (not sure if that spelling is right !) out on the kitchen worktop.  When they went into the kitchen to serve it, the dog had jumped up and scoffed the lot.  He became very ill and sadly died on the way to the vet.  They were heartbroken.  I have to say years ago I did give my dogs a little bit of chocolate but was never aware of the dangers.  I will never give any to Toby after hearing how dangerous it can be.