Author Topic: Walking hunched and then backing up. ??  (Read 1341 times)

Offline tritonx

Walking hunched and then backing up. ??
« on: October 26, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »
This morning Fraser went outside for his morning pee etc., had a poop and continued wandering about sniffing and then walked quickly in a hunched fashion, then backed up, walked a little more hunched, backed up and seemed in distress. Then he came over to me, tail down, sat on my foot and wanted to be petted. I panicked and phoned the vet, full up but could squeeze me in. I rushed to wash face, brush teeth and find a jacket. By the time I got back to him, he seemed more or less normal. He's still clingy and giving soulful eyes, but by now the morning routine is completely upset and he may be either in physical distress or anxious about the change/picking up my alarm. It was the backing up behaviour. I've seen him when he hasn't quite finished a poop and hunches to do some more, but this time he walked hunched and was backing up. I think he was a bit trembly. As he was acting more normal, I phoned the vet back and said it didn't seem so urgent, I was keeping an eye on him. I've got an appt. in about an hour, but how do you read the behaviour. I'm acting like a new mum, but changes in his behaviour or new behaviours make me worried in case he's sick. Right now he's lying down beside me quietly, not trembly.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Walking hunched and then backing up. ??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
If that was one of mine, I'd be thinking they were sore somewhere, maybe tummy? Is he still wanting to eat etc?

Good idea to get him checked out though and hopefully the vet can shed some light on things  :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 06:18:46 PM »
Is it possible he could have had a "dangly"?  ph34r Mine do this if not everything drops off; they seem to be able to sense it.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »
I know hunching their back can mean they are in pain so maybe he was in some discomfort following a poo?

Odds on he'll make a liar out of you at the Vets and he'll be fine.

Here's hoping he is anyway. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »
I checked for a dangly and when he's got those, he usually just scrapes his bum on the ground. Didn't see anything. He doesn't seem to have any problem jumping on or off the sofa which you'd think would cause pain if there was a distension in his belly. The backing up thing was strange. I'm sure he'll make a liar out of me at the vets since he's not been hunching since then though is licking his rear end right now, but dogs do that all the time anyway. At least the vet will be able to feel his tummy and tell if anything seems to be wrong in there. Maybe anal glands.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
Back from the vets, $100 later. Fraser's fine, nothing obvious. Some irritation of his anus, anal glands fine. She thinks maybe something in stool was abrasive and it hurt when he pooped. I took him for a walk afterwards and bold boyo bounced along as usual, had two substantial poops along the way with no repeat of previous behaviour. Gah. I'm glad he's fine, but what the heck was he doing this morning? As for clinginess, she thinks maybe he's going through a fear phase that happens around his age. Fingers crossed the insurance will cover part of the cost as he was just in at the vets a couple of weeks ago for a cough after being at the kennel for an overnight stay. Honestly, it really is like having a toddler except a toddler's medical care is covered by Canada Health. Back to usual routine, I guess. Fingers crossed for no more odd behaviour.  >:(

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »
Glad he's ok  :luv: 
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Crystaltipps

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:10 PM »
Has Fraser continued to be ok? Maggie has had very simlar symptoms in the last few days - walking with her tail end a bit dipped, trembling, backing up and essentially acting "old". The biggest sign is that she isn't keen to get on the sofa either with or without us.  :-\

A trip to the vet and some blood tests etc later and he thinks she might have hurt her back.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 11:23:04 PM »
This happened to Ruby recently.Walking hunched up and kept trembling,i put it down to a session of chuckit with the ball and maybe she twisted herself while chasing or catching it.
If it happens again though i will take her to the vets.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 07:57:57 AM »
Glad she is okay
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010