Author Topic: Kennel Cough Vaccine  (Read 450 times)

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
Kennel Cough Vaccine
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »
Does a dog need vaccine against kennel cough if it does not go into boarding kennels ?  :huh:

Kennel cough vaccine is part of Cupars health care plan at the vet but really dont want him to have it unless its absolutely necessary. He doesn't go to kennels.
Would value any opinion on this. Thanks

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
Re: Kennel Cough Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:44:55 PM »
Ellie went for her boosters last Monday and the vet actually said 'she doesn't go in kennels does she so she doesn't need the kennel cough vaccine'.   I know they can catch kennel cough outside kennels but I have never had Ellie vaccinated for it.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
I only ever had mine done if they went into kennels :luv: but it's up to you the vaccine these days I believe now lasts 12months compared to 6 months previously. x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline black taz

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:23:05 PM »
mine have never been vaccinated but never go into kennels.  That say, my collie cross caught it about 4 years ago, but there was a bit of an epidemic in our village cos some kind person kept on walking their dogs with other dogs even though they knew their dog had kennel cough (unfortunately i didnt find out until it was too late).  Given that she was 12 at the time she coped with it really well, so suspect she only had a mild version.

Our vet has never even suggested it as she knows i never put them in kennels

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
Thanks for replies girls.  Cupar doesnt go into kennels (new vet so perhaps he doesnt know that ) anyway really dont want to be pumping chemicals into him if its not needed, so think we will be declining the offer of it.  :blink: