Author Topic: Harv has Cushings  (Read 551 times)

Offline Marian

• Site Member
Harv has Cushings
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
Harv is now 7 years old and for most of his life has suffered with allergies, so after trying many medications the steroid, anti-histamine and dorwest herbs mix seemed to do just the trick and the constant scratching stopped.

However, over the last 2 or 3 weeks he has been drinking huge amounts of water, is starting to scratch again and has some large sores on the top of his head which are getting worse every day.

The vets scanned his tummy and have done several blood tests and it seems that he has quite high amounts of liver enzymes in his blood.

He is very lethargic and is pestering for food even more (we wouldn't have thought that possible before now), and just seems to have no enthusiasm for anything other than food, water and cuddles.

The vet has said that this is all linked to the long term use of steroids and that eventually we will be able to reverse the Cushings and to do this we have to wean him off them. This worries us because his skin is going to flare up again and I think the steroids are helping the small amount of arthritis that he has.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has any experience of Cushings, brought on by steroids.

Marian x
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/robinw48/dsc000685.jpg[IMG]

Offline LinziS

• Erin
Re: Harv has Cushings
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
No experience or advice but just want to say thoughts and prayers for you and your boy and that I hope the vets can help in some way

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »
No experience or advice but just want to say thoughts and prayers for you and your boy and that I hope the vets can help in some way
me too no advice but plenty of these for you and your boy  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:'s x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:56:17 PM »
No advice but wanted you to know we are thinking of you both and hope and pray Harvey recovers fully once the steroids stop  :-* Have you thought about raw feeding? It may help his allergies as i know there are people on here who have had that experience  ;) Lindseyp comes to mind  ;) ;)  :bigarmhug: and  :-* for Harvey. Jan and Mollie

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:02:19 PM »
I am sorry poor Harv is poorly  :'(
As Janandted mentioned it might help to put him on raw food, as this is known to help with allergies.  :shades:
Hope Harv starts to feel better very soon  :luv: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
Cushings disease can be brought on by using high doses or long term steroid therapy to treat other diseases, in your dogs case you know it was for the allergies. When Cushings is brought on by steroid therapy then as your vet says the disease can be reversed by gradually reducing the amount of steroids given. Personally if it were me in this position I would agree to weaning my dog off the steroids. They can be a wonder drug and whilst on them they do help many ailments but there can also be a high price to pay.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
I am sorry I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say I am thinking of Harry and hope everything goes well when you stop his steroids.

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
Poor you and poor Harv .. lots of  :bigarmhug:'s for you both

Re the comments on feeding raw ... I'm not completely raw yet ( :lol: ) but Jennie's 'itchiness' seems to have subdued and I put that down to allergies ...

I hope that you can work something out for Harv xx
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 11:35:35 PM »
me too no advice but plenty of these for you and your boy  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:'s x x x

Me too  :bigarmhug:
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:40 PM »
Poor Harv - thinking of you both  :bigarmhug: