Author Topic: Liver failure  (Read 5319 times)

Offline annclare

Liver failure
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »
I am going through hell at the moment; in July my elder cocker bitch Hollie (9) had a large lump removed which was found to be aggressive cancer, doing well right now. In August my younger bitch Cher (6) was diagnosed with liver failure. Having had cockers over 40 yrs I have been here before but the double whammy has left me reeling. I fear I am losing her, she has dropped back so far in 2 wks since diagnosis. Desperate to save her - would be so grateful for anything positive.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Liver failure
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »
Dear "Annclare"
I'm so sorry to read your post this morning,
what a dreadful time you are having.
I don't really have any advice for you,
wish I did.
Sending you and yours lots of love
and positive vibes.
steffxxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »
So sorry, does the vet know the reason for the liver failure?

Herbs such as dandelion or milk thistle are good for helping the liver and would not interfere with veterinary treatment but it does boil down to why she is in liver failure.

Is she jaundiced?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline annclare

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »
Vet did blood tests and ultrasound on first visit (taken her because her tummy was distended); said liver and protein levels very very low. She is on Denamarin (a liver supplement), Furosemide (water tablets) and Destolit (makes the bile flow more freely). Said from the ultrasound she didn't think it was cancer but possibly genetic - how is this so in a 6 yr old?? In July she was being my support after my other dog's op, absolutely fine in every way, then a month later she is fighting for her life. So many emotions but starting to feel anger too that this is happening to my beautiful young dog.   

Offline annclare

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:14:52 AM »
No she is not jaundiced at all. Her gums are quite pink, her appetite gone and very lethargic.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:19:12 AM »
Vet did blood tests and ultrasound on first visit (taken her because her tummy was distended); said liver and protein levels very very low. She is on Denamarin (a liver supplement), Furosemide (water tablets) and Destolit (makes the bile flow more freely). Said from the ultrasound she didn't think it was cancer but possibly genetic - how is this so in a 6 yr old?? In July she was being my support after my other dog's op, absolutely fine in every way, then a month later she is fighting for her life. So many emotions but starting to feel anger too that this is happening to my beautiful young dog.   

My heart goes out to you.  Don't have any advice or experience to offer you, but just wanted to send lots of these  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:26 AM »
Sorry no advice, but sending lots of positive thoughts for your beautiful girls :luv: :luv: and lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you all 
Janet & Poppy

Offline annclare

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »
I've just been looking at forums for dogs with liver failure. Think Cher's liver levels must be elevated not low, I know the vet said her liver was very small. Got a list of questions and medications suggested for when I see the vet Tues.
God I feel so ill.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
I've just been looking at forums for dogs with liver failure. Think Cher's liver levels must be elevated not low, I know the vet said her liver was very small. Got a list of questions and medications suggested for when I see the vet Tues.
God I feel so ill.

All you can do is to go there prepared, and to find out as much as you can about what you and your beautiful girl are facing.  Sending you all positive thoughts, and lots of hugs. Xxxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
no words of wisdom or advice I'm afraid but send many caring hugs & positive wishes for Cher & yourself 
 :bigarmhug:  :-* :bigarmhug:  :-* :bigarmhug:
I will keep paws crossed you get some better news at your appointment on Tuesday  :angel:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »
So sorry you are going through this all fingers and paws crossed for Cher on Tuesday. I have a dog with lupus and as a result he has kidney problems so I know just how you feel. Could you ask for a referral to a vet hospital they will probably have more experience of liver conditions. Big hugs to you all.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
So sorry sending you hugs and positive vibes.

Offline annclare

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
MaggieR - thanks for your pm; hope you got my reply. How do you get the Denamarin down Maggie? I struggle!
Thank you everyone for your concern. I feel desperate to help Cher and guilty about Hollie who is getting little attention right now. You have helped me today.

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »
We are so sorry to hear about your little ones.   We have no advice but our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Sending positive healing thoughts your way :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Love Gwyneth Colin and Megan xxxx
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »
So sorry to hear about your girls...you must be having a real tough time dealing with it all at the moment.
Cannot give any advice but want to pass on positive thoughts and prayers... :bigarmhug: to you and your babies

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet