Author Topic: What to do next  (Read 1921 times)

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
What to do next
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »
Hi All I posted a while ago about my oldie lad Charlie 13y/o cocker.  He was pooing for Scotland and very soft (sorry to be graphic).   The vet ran a battery of tests blood and poo, all came back showing nothing at all.   We checked his pacreas again normal.  Checked him for Enzyme deficiency again negative.  Blood tests show liver, kidneys etc all in good shape for his age.  Checked him for colitis no result.  He was on anti Bs for about 3 months which did help some but didnt really fix the problem  but since stopping them things have continued to be soft poo again but no weight loss this time.  I changed his food from Burns to JWB to see if that would help but it has not improved.  Question is should I try changing food again and to what or even adding some wet food to his kibble, if so what brand.  I started adding Probiotic to his food at the vets suggestion which I still do again same result no improvement.  He is due his booster soon so will be taking him to see the vet, I will discuss it with her but really dont want to run all that barrage of tests again to get the same results, or have him on constant anti Bs .  He is well in himself eating drinking etc but still pooing a lot and very soft.  I really dont know what to try next any advice or suggestions would be welcome I really feel we are missing something but what as ALL tests have been done and have shown nothing. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: What to do next
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
Bless him - thats not good  :-\  Have you tried him on Chappie?  Am sure there are a few people on here who's dogs will only tolerate Chappie, with everything else giving them loose stools.
Hope you find something to help settle him soon  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »
Thanks Maggie i think I will buy some chappie and add some to his kibble just a wee bit to start with see if that helps.  I am really at a loss as he was on Burns happily for 6 years as it was low fat and he had a bad bout of pancreatitis 7 years ago so low fat diet ever since. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
At the start of Harry's last twelve months he was very loose and I solved this by mixing boiled potatoes with wet food and he firmed up quite well.  He loved it and was on it until he went to the Bridge at fifteen and a half, bless him  :luv:  This may be worth a try.

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »
Thanks Mrs T never thought of potatoes.  I plan to go to PAH today when I get off work and get some Chappie your suggestions are gratefully received and give me some where to start from.  I just assumed this was a result of something going on in his gut so to speak never thought it could be just his elderly age as he just hoovers up whatever he is given to eat always has done. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
My older dog can only tolerate chappie wet since she had colitis and any vet I have been to with her do champion it especially for stomach problems. My mum's ridgeback was exactly the same and he lived to the ripe old age of 15 on nothing but chappie

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
Thanks Karen I will definately try Chappie hopefully if OH calls me today I will get him to go into PAH at lunch time so I have it ready for Charlies tea.  Keep fingers crossed we see some improvement in my oldie lad. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »
we had an elderly beagle with diabetes who was fed only on chappie at the vet's recommendation and she did very well on it
some supermarkets also sell it if you cannot get to PAH

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
Hi all I went up to PAH last night and got dome Chappie, Charlie had a couple of spoons at tea time and wolfed it down so no probs there and again this morning just waiting to see if it helps in the poo department.  Things have moved on a bit this week Charlie is begining to get a bit confused been up and down all night wanting outside then when out forgets why he is out there,  it is heart breaking to see.  I ordered some Aktivait for him today as I dont need a prescription for them to see if they will help.  I also have a vet appointment for him tomorrow morning for a general checkup and to discuss things with the vet.  We will do all we can for my lad, I just wish I could turn back or stop the clock.
Cathy
Cheekie Charlie
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »
Oh Cathy I'm sorry to
read Charlie :luv:is becoming
confused, I can tell you are
worried about him in lots of ways.
I would love to give you both a
great big hug... :bigarmhug:
steffxxx

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
nothing to add just wanted to give you both a big hug :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »
Well I have everything crossed the Chappie helps settle his stomach.  Maybe if it does it might help with his confusion, if for instance he's retaining a bit more nutrition  :-\  If not then fingers crossed the Aktivait can give him a bit of a boost...
 :bigarmhug:'s for you - tis so hard when they get older. 
xxx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »
Thanks everyone this will be day 2 of Chappie so early days yet if no improvement by Saturday will try adding some boiled potato.  Right now lad is exhausted so sleeping on the couch rain is pouring down so trying hard when he is awake to distract him from wanting out into the garden as he stands there getting soaked.  If I stand at the door with a towel and call him gently he will come in for mum to dry him off so remembers mum always towel dries him when he gets wet.  OH took him for a short stoll in the park this morning to see if that would settle him a bit as he has been plodding about all day so far wanting out to the garden, getting wet and agitated.  Just waiting for Aktivait to arrive and we will see what the vet recommends tomorrow.  I work from home so he is never left alone during the week and now will only be left short periods if I need shopping at the WE. 

Cathy
Cheekie Charlie
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:to you all,
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline wendyt

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Cathy
Chester my old CKCS was on Aktivait for similar symptoms. He would go out into the garden and when he got there he would forget what he was out there for. It was heartbreaking watching him looking so lost and confused. At night he would pace back and forward not really knowing where to settle and he started to go to the wrong door when he wanted to go out to for a wee so we had quite a few accidents. I have to say I found that being on Aktivait did help and he did seem less confused and brighter. I also fed him Chappie dry food with some tinned on top which he ate quite happily and his poos were always well formed.

I hope you see some improvement both with the food and the Aktivait.  :bigarmhug: to you both