Author Topic: What to do next  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: What to do next
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »
Just caught up with this thread Cathy it's awful when they get older  :luv: :luv: cause we think all kinds of things don't we  :luv: but your cheeky man is still here with you enjoying his dinner and his mum what more could a cocker ask for  :luv: :luv: sending great big  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:'s to you and charlie x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 06:59:20 PM »
Sorry Charlie is not too good atm  :'(
Really hope the Chappie &/or boiled potato's help him in the poop dept  :shades:
Sorry i don't have any advice to add exc. i would rethink him having the yearly booster right now  :-\
Hope he rallies & is feeling better very soon  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 08:23:36 PM »
Thanks all for your kind thoughts and words Charlie and I both appreciate them.  Charlie's booster is due next month I looked out his card yesterday, he will not be getting his booster any time soon I think that is the last thing he needs just now as that could put him over the edge.  He is settled just now relaxed and sleeping, thank dogness.   He ate his tea with his usual vigor and enjoyed the Chappie, things not yet improved in the poo dept I will speak to the vet about this tomorrow and also will add some boiled potato to see if that helps.  Still up for kisses and cuddles that is good enough for us.  It will be 3 years this Saturday since I lost my girl Belle (ESS) at 12y/o so all round not a good week.
Cathy
Belle my angel 22/09/2009
Cheekie Charlie
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »
Thanks all for your kind thoughts and words Charlie and I both appreciate them.  Charlie's booster is due next month I looked out his card yesterday, he will not be getting his booster any time soon I think that is the last thing he needs just now as that could put him over the edge.  He is settled just now relaxed and sleeping, thank dogness.   He ate his tea with his usual vigor and enjoyed the Chappie, things not yet improved in the poo dept I will speak to the vet about this tomorrow and also will add some boiled potato to see if that helps.  Still up for kisses and cuddles that is good enough for us.  It will be 3 years this Saturday since I lost my girl Belle (ESS) at 12y/o so all round not a good week.
Cathy
Belle my angel 22/09/2009
Cheekie Charlie

Awww Cathy we both lost our babies in the same year didn't we Poppy was 27-4-09 so I know what it means to you and charlie  :luv: :luv: keep smiling girl I will be thinking of you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »
If all his tests have come back NAD and you are already trying Chappie, what about adding a teaspoon of slippery elm to his food twice a day, it helps bind them up (not so they are constipated I might add, just firms up loose stools and soothes tummy troubles). I always keep some in and found it really useful for Phoebe's pups when they were being hand reared and sometimes they got a bit sloppy, so just added slippery elm into their meals and next day poops were fine. It could be worth a try?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Bluegirl I am up for trying Slippery Elm just googled it to see if I can buy the powder locally save time getting it.  Holland and Barret only stock capsules, does anyone know of an outlet for this I might have locally in Scotland also looked at Boots but they dont stock it either.  Rough night Charlie paced up and down most of the night OH ended up sleeping downstairs with him as I am working today I will take over at the WE to let him get some sleep I got up at 5:30 this am , Charlie isnt in pain or anything just a confused lad who has turned night into day hopefully vet today can help us if we can get some sleep at night we can cope during the day, lad must be exhausted I dont know how he keeps going. 

Cathy
Belle my angel 22/09/09
Cheekie Charlie
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
Cathy you could just empty
the capsule onto his food, they come
apart easily.
Sending you and yours lots of love
steffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
Hi all just got back from the vets seeing Eleanor Charlie's favourite vet.  She is convinced Charlie really is not senile but what he is experienicing is due to his heart which is about as bad as it can be, which amazes her he is still going strong.  She has recommended doubling his Frusemide and I should try giving him Zylkene which is a natural sedative used for stress in dogs as he is getting so worked up and pacing all night.    Even if he was senile he would not be a candidate for the medication they would use due to his heart being so poor.  She has agreed that we should try the Slippery Elm which OH got from Holland and Barret this morning or failing that something called Psyllium Husk will google that later for the mean time going with Slippery Elm.  I am also to begin protecting his liver vets have Doxion which is very expensive and contains milk thistle in the mean time I will get milk thistle to start him off, then figure out a way to get his liver protected cheaper using human quality suplements which tend to be cheaper Doxion is £30 for 30 tabs and Charlie would need 2 a day. 
Has anyone heard of Doxion or use it and is there a way to get suplements with the same effect a bit cheaper.  I am at work just now so over the WE I will work on getting an alrenative to it.  I feel a bit better now just lost it a bit thinking the time we all dread was approaching and I didnt want to face that not with my darling boy who is my soul mate and cuddle monster. 

Cathy
Belle my angel 22/09/09
Cheekie Charlie
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »
Hi Cathy - just wondering how Charlie's getting on... hope his tum is settling down and he's a little more settled in himself  :bigarmhug:'s for your lovely boy  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
Cathy, I'm so sorry to read that Charlie has not been himself.
I hope that he has picked up a little today, and that he's a little more settled and back to his usual self.

xxx :bigarmhug:
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
Hi All Charlie is a bit better since his Frusecare has been doubled.  It seems to be the restless panting and unable to settle seems to have been fluid in his chest as his heart murmur is at least grade 5/6 now.  The poo question is still a work in progress, adding plain boiled rice to his Chappie did not help, adding Slippery Elm also did not really help tonight I added Sweet potato to his chappie I will see those results later tonight or tomorrow.  Next move will be pure pumpkin once I have used up the sweet potato.  At least  he is producing less poo meaning it is staying in his gut longer so he is getting the benefits.  He actually slept from 10:30 last night to 5:30 this am first night in a week.  More importantly he is making a come back the light is coming back into his eyes and he has started following us around again.  It was awful going to the bathroom all by myself when for 13 years I have had a cocker with me.  He is sleeping a bit more but when awake follows us about, tries to beg food and comes up for cuddles.  We have a follow up vet appointment tomorrow afternoon.  We came so close to loosing him he was shutting down and pulling away from us thankfully we managed to bring him back this time. 

Thank you all for your help it is appreciated
Cathy
Cheekie Charlie
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »
 :bigarmhug:'s Cathy, am so pleased Charlie's picking up slowly  :luv:  Everything crossed that continues and one of the combinations with chappie settles his tum  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline maddy74

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »
Big hugs for you it sounds like you are going through a difficult time.

In terms of his tummy, have you tried pro kolin paste to bind his poops? Willow had colitis as a pup and for us it was a miracle cure  ;) We had to put her on the RC sensitivity control kibble that worked well and after a short time on that we gave her barking heads, fusspot that was salmon and potato, her tum was great on this too. Its hard to know what to do because what works for one doggy might not work for another. I hope he feels better soon xx

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 10:13:33 PM »
So glad Charlie is a little better, bless him  :luv: :luv:
Not sure if you have tried Charlie or its been suggested before to try some Natural Bio Yoghurt to help settle his tum  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »
Just catching up with Charlie :luv:
Pleased to read he's a wee bit brighter :blink:
Sending him a big kiss :-*and a big
cuddle for you too :bigarmhug:
steffxxx