Author Topic: What to do next  (Read 1919 times)

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
Re: What to do next
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
Thanks all Ninasmum I give him Probiotic powder in every meal a teaspoon as suggested by the vet.   Well result the sweet potato did the trick last night just got to find how much suits him now so we dont go the other way and constipate him.  Slept from 10:30 to 5am last night before he needed out but only to pee so tum is starting to settle.  See what the vet thinks this afternoon. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 08:09:03 PM »
I have only just seen this thread, I am so sorry that Charlie has been so unwell. Just want to send a big  :bigarmhug: to you both.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »
Only just seen this thread, don't know how I missed it .

Poor Charlie is having a rough time at the minute but with a mummy like you to help him I'm sure you have a lot longer with him.

I hope you can manage to sort his "poos" out as this alone will probably make him feel so much better and more relaxed, especially at night.

Love to you all xx

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »
Really pleased  :D  to hear he is doing better and will need to remember the sweet potato trick! xx

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:58 AM »
Thanks all yes we are winning I have also discovered that pure pumpkin also works and he likes the pumpkin I managed to find the Libbys pure American canned pumpkin thanks to a friend of mine in the USA I can buy pure canned pumpkin from Amazon.  I am maintaining three small meals a day instead of 2 which means he only gets a small meal at teatime so that has meant he does not want out during the night so for the last 3 nights he has slept from 10:30 to 5:30 that we can cope with.The vet trip on Wednesday went well she has emailed me the data sheet for Frusecare and has agreed that if we get into the same situation of the heavy panting and unable to settle again in a few months I can gradually increase the dose by a half tab etc because although he is not coughing he does seem to be in CHF so the heavy panting etc is being caused by fluid in his chest.  He is much like his old cocker self even went for a walk on the golf course yesterday with his Dad his favorite walk of all time. 

Many Thanks for all your help and good wishes.
Cathy and Charlie
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 08:16:05 AM »
So pleased that Charlie is feeling happier and livelier :luv:

William is prone to constipation sometimes and I use either cooked sweet potato, tinned pumpkin (Waitrose sell it) or psyllium husks. All of them work but I get a bit anxious about using psyllium husks, having read some horror stories about it swelling up in dog's throats. You sprinkle it on wet food and it immediately starts to swell up a bit. I've also tried mixing it with a little water before feeding, but I'm not comfortable using it so tend to keep a tin of pumpkin at the ready. Cooked sweet potato is a really good healthy food for dogs and mine get it fairly regularly with their food.

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
Hi Elaine I also had the same concern about psyllium husks which the vet recommended so didnt buy any I did try Slippery Elm but I really prefer to go with canned pumkin or buy sweet potato the natural route.  I tried all Scottish supermarkets for canned pumpkin but could not find any well not the pure pumkin.  So as he likes the pumpkin and sweet potato I am going to continue with either of those and he likes them and is happy to eat either.  I am using fesh pumpkin just now as I bought one and cooked it so will use it this WE until it is finished.  They are a challenge sometime arent they.  This time last week I felt so bad felt like I was letting him down when he needed help but we got there and I have learned a lot from all you guys in the process.  The power of COL.

Cathy

Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »
Thats a fab update Cathy -so pleased Charlie is feeling a bit better in himself and you've found something to help settle his tum  :luv:  He's very lucky to have a mum like you  :bigarmhug:
Gentle squidges for your lovely boy from me & Maggie.
Lisa
xxx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 09:08:57 AM »
Thanks Lisa OH and I are so pleased we managed to get him stabilised again we know that increasing his Frusecare to remove fluid from his chest will be ongoing as his heart is so bad but at least now we have the poo dept sorted it wont all gang up on him now so he cant cope.  We know we are on borrowed time but as long as Charlie is happy and enjoying life that is all that matters. 

Cathy
Cheekie Charlie
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition