Author Topic: What is your flea treatment routine?  (Read 570 times)

Offline lollie

What is your flea treatment routine?
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »
When I bought Toby, the breeder said he had not long been flea'd, but today, I have found a couple of fleas on him! Quite big ones too! What do you use for a flea treatment? I use frontline spray on the cats, but I am but unsure about using it on Toby as it smells extremely strong. His bed is changed every night (he has been having little accidents overnight, although the last few nights he has been clean  :banana: ) I will hoover everywhere that he is allowed to go. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: What is your flea treatment routine?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:55:08 PM »
You may need to spray the whole house if the little blighters have moved in.  >:D When my last cocker got an infestation I had to sparay all the carpets, sofas, curtains, bedding etc as well as treating him. I used stronghold as the frontline did not work.
My mum has a cat and she (the cat, not my mum!) tends to pick up fleas while out and about hunting. She uses Frontline spot on rather than the spray. She uses it on her cocker too.
For Archie I have been using the herbal treatment Billy No Mates which you add to food and we have been flea and tick free all summer. It takes a few weeks to work though and repels rather than kills them so I think you will need to use something chemical if you are seeing them on Toby.

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »
I use eliminall spot on now, which is exactly the same as frontline and half the price. My older dog is 8 and i can honestly say i have only ever seen  3 fleas in total on her and that was on 3 different occasions. I have always washed all my bedding at 60 degrees and steamed the soft furnishings. My new washing machine has a steam function and i used that the last time as well and i used my steam mop on the rug

Offline Bibby

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:45:48 AM »
If you do have an infestation, you will need to treat the whole house. Apparently for every 5 fleas you see on the dog there are another 95 in the house waiting to hatch out and jump on the dog! I used something called Indorex which you put down and then hoover every day for a minimum of 7 days. The Frontline still protects the dog it just takes 24 - 48 hours to kill the fleas that land on the dog which is why you see them. According to my vet this has been the worst year for fleas, they are doing a roaring trade in flea products. I suffered an awful infestation earlier this year, and have never had a problem before, but this treatment did work and banish them once and for all. Good luck, hope you manage to get them cleared up
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline lollie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
Apparently for every 5 fleas you see on the dog there are another 95 in the house waiting to hatch out and jump on the dog!

:020: aww don't tell me that :016:

I'll get washing tonight and try that indorex. Thanks.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »
I only use Billy no mates, and not have any un welcome visitors