Author Topic: Argh teenagers!  (Read 1226 times)

Offline M4ndy

Argh teenagers!
« on: October 16, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »
Jasmine is officially a teenager today.
Yesterday, we had training class in the morning. She was quite good but we haven't been for a while so it was quite exciting and her lead work was a bit pants. Recall great though.
In the evening we had ringcraft. I didn't walk her in between which possibly was a mistake. She was really good and by the end of the class was stacking really well and leadwork was okay. Only her second time so I was really pleased. She also did a lovely recall at the end.
Today >:( First she came in from the garden then did a massive pee and poo in the hall. I then took her for a walk. She pulled most of the time and after stopping about 50 times I put the pushchair in front of her and kept her btween me and the wall so she couldn't pull. Then in the park we did some lovely recalls until we reached the lane and she would not be caught. >:( I have made the mistake of grabbing her in the past so now she runs around me just out of reach barking at me. Eventually a kindly stranger came along. She jumped all over him  ::) and he caught her for me.
Since we got back she has been chewing everything within her reach but does seem to be settling down now ::)

I obviously need to nip this recall thing in the bud. I thought I would just try to really mix it up and put her on the lead in lots of different places and practice lots. I thought I might also try playing fetch and recalling her that way (or might this mess up her retrieve?) Do you think I should resort to a long line?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Argh teenagers!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:26:45 PM »
Definitely a teenager. She'll be out getting piercings and a tattoo next  :lol2:

When you're practising recall have you tried turning your back and walking away from her if she doesn't come first time? That usually works for me, then turn round and call again when she's following you, plus lots of praise when she comes back (that's the hard bit for me and I sometimes have to praise through gritted teeth because I actually feel like strangling him instead).

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »

If she likes to play the running just out of reach on a recall, try this trick...

Whether or not she is "messing about" when you recall and she gets nearer, move backwards away from her... if you act like you're trying not to let her get there, she is more likely to want to be with you.
Never reward a recall until she is sat at your feet and you can grab her collar....
The reward for a recall can be a throw of a ball if that is more rewarding than a food treat!!  :D

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »
Definitely a teenager. She'll be out getting piercings and a tattoo next  Laugh
:005:
She's just pulled little boys sock off and chewed it up while I wasn't looking :o
She will come back to me if I change direction but still won't be caught. She comes to just out of arms reach and then runs around me barking.  >:(

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »
Thanks Karma. Should I not reward until after I have hold of her collar?

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 12:56:49 PM »

No - don't reward until you have hold of her - you can then release her if you want to or can pop her lead on easily... otherwise you end up with a dog who'll come, grab the treat and run again!!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline SandraD

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »
Oh dear, I do sympathise, we have got this all to come! ph34r  Monty is 8 months old now and I am waiting with baited breath for the dreaded teenage behaviour to kick in!  Fingers crossed that Jasmine reverts to her angelic self before very long .......... and that Monty then doesn't start bogging off on walks and chewing everything in sight!!!

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 04:55:23 PM »
When does the teenage phase generally begin? Penny is 5 3/4 months and is starting to get to get a bit bratty. Nothing bad, just a bit defiant. Recently she's taken to running through a gap in the wall on our normal walk, and on to school hockey pitches. The first twice I ran up and started calling, whistling etc and finally she came. Since then, I've called her but just carried on walking, and boy, did that make her move!! :005: :005: Her face was a picture, as if to say "but you're supposed to run after me." 
I am very careful where I let her off and wouldn't trust her near roads.
How old is Jasmine?

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »
You could try some clicker training with her. When Bella was a teenager (which coincided with squirrel season so it was a complete flippin' nightmare  :lol2:), her recall was really bad out in the park for a while. I started taking a clicker and instead of recalling her, would just click any time she came within a few feet of me (which would be by accident on her way to somewhere else). The clicking noise would stop her in her tracks as she wanted the food, so she'd get the treat then off she'd go again. Gradually she started to come to me deliberately for the treat so I then upped the ante and she had to be within reach to get it, and then had to let me stroke her to get it, and finally had to have her collar held.  It was by no means a quick fix, it took time, but it did help.

I actually still click her for coming near me now during squirrel season and she's nearly five years old...

If it makes you feel any better though, there were days when she would absolutely ignore me and be completely infuriating - you do come through it eventually, just hold onto that thought of her before the teenage stuff kicked in, it helps to have a positive mental image of what you know she IS capable of once she starts listening  :D
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
Jasmine is 11 months now and I was starting to think I had got away with it and she was going to sail through the teenage months ::) I guess its when they start to feel confident and test their boundaries and I assume that will be different for every dog depending on personality. Jasmine is generally on the timid side.

I had thought about doing some clicker stuff. I tried it with my old dog without much success though. I don't think my timing is very good! I might try reading a bit more about it!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 05:33:38 PM »
Sounds like Wilf when he was a teenager - he would go and hide under a car so I couldn't get him
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »
Duggie is only 5 months and seems to be going through his teenager phase, god help us when he really is a teenager! :o His recall is still good, but he is becoming very cheeky, I was out with the dogs and a friend today, and he jumped up at her, stole the oatcake she was eating and ran off with it and buried it! ph34r I got it back and put it in my bag as there were no bins around, then he sat guarding the bag until I moved it. ::)

Then, of course, when other people appered he became an  :angel:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline puppy love

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »
Saffie is an early developer  :lol2: At exactly 7 months she is definately strutting her stuff.

Taking socks and guarding them, trying to escape, very poor recall, chewing my rugs...... these antics are all relatively new.

But i can also see a lovely bond developing with my other dog Indie and I was thinking the other day how lovely it was to have here and in turn how secure and settled she must feel with us....... :005: so, of course i can forgive her and those eyes of hers are just beautiful  :lol2:  :lol2:
Mims Saffs & Ins xxx

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »
OMG she just chased a deer :o
I worked really hard over the weekend on her recall and she hasn't done that running around me thing again. I was feeling quite pleased. She's still been a monster chewing things so we've had to go back to keeping her in the kitchen and hall unless supervised. But not too bad. Then this morning we met a dog who she said hello to then just took off. She got a field away then came back. I didn't keep calling but praised and treated for coming back. Then after running about like a loon for ages we suddenly came upon a deer. I tried 'leave' and she thought about it but then just took off. Its such a horrible feeling watching them go and knowing you can't do anything about it. She chased it right across the field (about 40 acres, so a long way) then stopped only when it jumped the fence. She came back but in her time and only when she'd gone back to check the fence a few times. I managed to keep my cool and praised and treated and let her go again once she came back. I just never thought I'd have these problems with her as she never goes far usually. I feel useless now. There's so many things that I should have taught her. She doesn't know 'down at a distance' her 'leave' is only just coming and I haven't practised chase recall.