Author Topic: Jumping up  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Rollo58

Jumping up
« on: December 09, 2019, 02:15:06 PM »
Hi all,
Archie is now just 6 months old and testing his boundaries.
Jumping onto the sofa,put back onto the floor and then back on the sofa.A little repetitive but determined not to have him dictating.
The biggest annoyance though is jumping up.
We just can’t seem to communicate that it’s undesirable.Please could someone advise?

Many thanks.

Offline Elisha9

Re: Jumping up
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
I have always said, ‘down’ and walked away with my dog’s. Don’t get me wrong they still try to sneak up when you say this sometimes but once said again they’re both down on the floor!
But when I walk off it’s no longer fun if that makes sense. If he wants to be with you and you’ve walked away he’s sat there alone. Try having his bed next to the sofa unless you’ve already done that. And ‘bed’ will be the new ‘down’. Try giving him a treat when he actually listens too! Poppy will do anything for a treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Barry H

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 09:18:03 AM »
Both these are tough and both depend on how much of a softee you are.  I gave up on the sofa after a while - TBH I preferred him up there with me and eventually used a throw.  There is no greater joy in life than having Jack chilling out with his head on my knee...  Otherwise, Archie should improve as he gets older.  Be prepared for it to take a while and use treats to lure him off.  Consistency is the secret, but don't be surprised if he eventually grinds you down!

Jumping up has never bothered me but we don't want to annoy visitors (depending who they are!).  Archie is still a baby and it's almost impossible for young dogs to be able to control their natural exuberance.  Again consistency will pay dividends and he WILL improve as he gets older.  I saved this video ages ago as I thought it's one of the best for method/explanation (but you'll note that the dog is no longer a puppy).

How to Train Your Dog to Stop Jumping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb7iEv0RrHQ

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »
I agree with you, I love having my girls up with me. (Cocker and the Border Collie). They even get blankets too!
But I get when people are over I really would rather the dogs not squash everyone [emoji23] Especially when my girls think that everyone is here just for them! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rollo58

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 07:20:05 AM »
Thank you for your replies,really appreciated.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 04:31:22 PM »
Really difficult one for us too with Salty - he is 10 months now.
Stepping on lead/house-line works, until I take my foot off  :lol: