Author Topic: when to get a male cocker neutered?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Bridie and Buddy

when to get a male cocker neutered?
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
I have a 5 month old male cocker puppy.  When would be the soonest I could get him neutered?  My sister has a female who has not been spayed and as we see her frequently I do need to get mine done as I don't intend using him as a stud dog.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: when to get a male cocker neutered?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 05:37:12 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL :D

Many vets will castrate from about 6 months onwards, but many also advise to wait until at least 12 months old or older to allow the puppy time to mature physically and mentally. Some recent scientific studies have shown evidence of a higher incidence of physical problems such as cruciate ligament damage following neutering at a young age.

My own preference is not to have my male dogs neutered, but I can understand your worry about yours being around your sister's unspayed female. If you choose not to have him neutered until he's a bit older does your sister know roughly when her bitch is due her next season? Would you be able to make temporary arrangements to keep them completely separate during that time to give your puppy a bit more time to mature before you have him neutered?

One of my 2 males is entire, the other has been neutered because he had an undescended testicle (increased danger of testicular cancer in later life) but I waited until he was 15 months old before having him neutered in order to give him time to mature.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:06:05 PM »
I had both my previous cockers done at one year old but Archie was done at 7 months. He had some behavioural issues and I was at my wits end (considering re-homing him, so pretty bad) I let the vet talk me into getting him done but I wish I had listened to my gut and waited. It made no difference to his behaviour and I am now convinced he has not matured properly and that some of his ongoing problems maybe related to this. I have no proof, just my instincts talking, but I would wait until he is mature.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
Our vet advises waiting at least until they learn to cock their leg rather than squat and preferably until they're 18 months old.