Author Topic: £104.....dirty young dog. warning: yucky post content  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Honormum

Re: £104.....dirty young dog. warning: yucky post content
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »
Teddy is 24 weeks (I think...I've lost track!) and I've just started to notice his "lipstick" out. :005:
He humped occasionally as a small puppy - I'm talking between 10 and 14 weeks - he had a couple of goes on the children when they were rolling around the floor with him. ph34r

Since his lipstick has started appearing, he's jumped our 12 year old female lab a few times...but she's used to it, as our old Springer bitch used to hump her a LOT!

Our lab puts on a good show of humping her vetbed any time we have visitors. :005: :005:

I can see why you were a bit shocked when the whole lot made an appearance - glad the vet sorted it, but ouch! At the cost. ph34r

Offline Lovely

£104 dirty young dog yucky post content
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 05:49:38 AM »
I've had 4 different entire male dogs, Spud is entire, and none have been humpers. Castration prob won't make a difference, i think it's a comfort behaviour, and like all such behaviours they're not a problem in small doses but become a problem if it becomes more obsessional. I'd try and distract Buckley with something else if he starts getting really into it. I know dogs are not the same as cows but you  only have to see a field of young bullocks humping to see that castration doesn't stop this behaviour. Also, a non-humping dog can still be fine in the stud department, Joe never humped anything except a bitch in season, and Spud would have had nookie with his labradoodl friend Violet when she had her first season but we managed to intervene before he could do the dirty deed (also he needed a step ladder!)
Ali

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
Re: £104.....dirty young dog. warning: yucky post content
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 02:45:29 PM »
Teddy is 24 weeks (I think...I've lost track!) and I've just started to notice his "lipstick" out. :005:
He humped occasionally as a small puppy - I'm talking between 10 and 14 weeks - he had a couple of goes on the children when they were rolling around the floor with him. ph34r

Since his lipstick has started appearing, he's jumped our 12 year old female lab a few times...but she's used to it, as our old Springer bitch used to hump her a LOT!

Our lab puts on a good show of humping her vetbed any time we have visitors. :005: :005:

I can see why you were a bit shocked when the whole lot made an appearance - glad the vet sorted it, but ouch! At the cost. ph34r

Aw  :005: no wonder his coat is so fluffy  :P (he's absolutely gorgeous)

Yep Buckley does like to show his 'lipstick'...but funnily enough it only makes an appearance when he's either concentrating on something you're doing/saying or when he greets  :005: To the best of my knowledge (cos I don't check  :P ph34r) it hasn't shown itself when he has humped in the past...(dry humping?!)..but Sunday night when he was loving Doug! That's why I was so freaked out/worried for his safety (if he'd snag...) - the pencil and both rubbers!

I know the cost  :-\ but it was worth it for my peace of mind. The vet said that although it was sorted when she got to see him, it could happen again in the night (due to swelling) - so I had the jab to make sure it didn't. Poor boy also had some fluff or something stuck to his feather duster...so she had to clean him up, of course he (and me) didn't like it  :'(
He's good now, though his skin around the area looks darker so I believe he's bruised himself with the sheer strain of it all.

It has got me wondering if there are variations in the ''higher end'' of testosterone levels? I don't know if my mind has worked too hard on that, or if there's any science about hormone levels/fluctuations in young dogs...but hm, perhaps some have just a little bit more than others/or sooner? (Clever COLers correct me please if I'm wrong - this is a wonderful community for everyone to learn new info).

Lol @ your other replies ladies  :lol: That is pretty much what I knew already (before this incident) - that castration is hit/miss for ''problem behaviours'', and possibly intervening too soon in hormone productions could be counterproductive.
I am back to feeling confident in my decision to not have him done (unless there's a medical reason for it).
I don't think the humping will be going on now (he hasn't since), Doug has gone and all his other soft toys are too small for it. If he was to try it on me or another person then that's easy to stop  ;)
Thank you everyone for your replies, knowledge and humour  :lol: